Friday, January 1, 2010

Flashbacks

An old friend posted a "ten years ago" post on her blog. I LOVED it. We went to high school and some of college together, so it was fun to have a shared history...
Here is my version of it..

10 years ago: I was a senior in high school. I was performing and had just been accepted for a partial scholarship to Ricks College. Through a small miracle, I decided to take it. I was trying to figure out what I wanted out of life. My family was on the brink of moving thousands of miles away. I was 17 and pretty carefree. No obligations except to myself. Life was easy, but I didn't think so then.

8 years ago: I was a brand newlywed (like 3 days). I had a live-in apartment management gig that made me cry A LOT. My bosses were crooks and my family was far away. We had free rent and we were honeymooning. I was struggling to try to keep up on my work and my classes at the U. I was in love and happy. Looking back, life was easy, but I didn't think so then.

6 years ago: We had just purchased our first property. I was a nervous wreck about taking on such large debt. I was working at a job that I really enjoyed, but kept me semi-stressed out. I loved making our house a home. Pretty simple. But it was easy, although I didn't think so then.

4 years ago: I had just found out that I was pregnant. We told our families on Christmas and after four years of marriage, and over a year of trying to conceive, it was happy news!! We were blurry eyed with excitement and anticipation, but had no real idea of what to expect. We were unsure about the future. Life was so easy, but I didn't think so then.

2 years ago: My JJ was a little over one year old. We spent our days with me at his heels picking up toys, the contents of any drawer within reach, and his dust. I was finding out that motherhood is the purest form of love and how much sleep you can actually survive on. I couldn't go on "quick errands," and planned my days around snacks and naps. But I was so happy to have my adorable little boy as my constant companion. I was happy. Life was easy. But I didn't really think so then.

Today: I am the crazed mother of two little boys. I thought one was tough, but two REALLY keep you hopping!! I can't have a conversation on the phone without saying "hold on" to put out some sort of fire at least 4 times. My house seems to be constantly messy. Food flies off my shelves. Grocery shopping is an endless chore (not to mentions laundry!). Now I know what tired TRULY feels like. My heart melts almost daily as I snuggle my "growing to fast" one year old, or laugh with my rowdy and smart 3 year old. I love to watch them learn and grow. These moments are fleeting (even though some days they feel like they drag). I am happy and comfortable and so very blessed. I don't think that life is easy (but then again I seldom do).

I am one who is often guilty of looking ahead to the next stage, step, or task. When JJ was a infant I found myself saying "It will be so nice when he is... (fill in the blank: walking, talking, feeding himself, sleeping, etc.)" Now that JJ is doing all those things I am happy, but incredulous at how quickly each stage came! All I know is that time flies and I was to cherish each step in my journey.

I am grateful for so many things, and hope to make this year a year of patience and enjoyment.

Happy New Year!


9 comments:

Kelsie said...

I love this! Maybe I'll have to try my own.

And I also love Brody's cake--that was a great "purchase" you made. :) Happy birthday to such a cute boy!

Gustogirl said...

I really like this post. So often Scott and I talk about how "blissful" life was when. I am sure I will look back at these days and think they were much easier than I think they are now. Fun to remember the past ten years. I think I will copy too!

Thelissa said...

This post made me think. Thanks for sharing. I loved it!

KiMnRoB said...

All your posts are water-works worthy.
At least for me they are.
Loved this post!

Nesting with Grace said...

You are so cute and a good writer! I loved that...fun to look at the past that way

The Blanchard Family said...

It is funny how no matter what is going on in your life at a certain time it always seems like A LOT! It always feels like it will be better when....

I have vowed after having truly the hardest year of my life that I will just take it as it comes and enjoy it while its hear. Hopefully thats true. Cute post and its fun to look back on what you were doin back then!

MomOf4 said...

This is fun! Great post! :)

Just the 3 of us said...

Here is my new blog...

http://mckenzieandkids.blogspot.com

Tara said...

Loved to read your past ten years! It helps me keep perspective that our "hard" things are catered to what will help us grow the most. Life is good.

And your boys are ADORABLE.