Friday, November 14, 2008

November's Book Club.

I seriously love our little book club. We have the greatest girls! I look forward to it every month... I am a total nerd.
Last night we discussed Marley and Me; Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan. Although I tried to keep it a secret, everyone quickly found out that I am not a HUGE animal lover. (I know, I know... somehow this admission makes me seem heartless and cold.) Anyway, I was pretty sure that I would have a difficult time reading this book because of that fact, but I was pleasantly surprised at the readability of the book . Sure, there was a lot of "dog stuff," but it seemed pretty well balanced with the joy and hardships of the author's family.

As funny (and embarrassing) as it may seem, having a child has made me appreciate animals more. Somehow the helpless and rambunctious nature of the Lab in this book loosely resembled my little JJ. Plus, I can now understand how taking care of someone (or some animal) and having that constant responsibility only binds you to those whom you serve.

I guess what I am trying to say is that although I would not be a great dog owner, I can genuinely appreciate the love that others have for their animals (and particularly dogs).

I would not have picked out this book to read for myself, but I found it to be a pretty entertaining (and at times anxiety-causing) story. Thanks to Kelly for a great meeting... and to V Chocolates for the delicious strawberries!!

5 comments:

CoreyandShanda said...

I'm sad I missed it...I read Marley pretty fast, I liked it a lot!!
I can't wait for next month...I'm bringing a pad and paper so I can write down all the good book club reads for next year :)

Gustogirl said...

Sounds like it softened you a bit towards the idea of a dog, not to get one mind you, but at least appreciate others who have them. Maybe I need to read it.

Deacons Mommy said...

Have I told you ever I love you? Well I do. And by the way, WHEN ARE YOU DUE!!!!!

time-for-a-paws said...

Cute! I can tell that over the last couple of years you have been more ok with animals...like Lucy. It made me happy that you excepted her:)

LindsSawyer said...

Sounds like a great discussion and a fun night! I too LOVE book club and look forward to it every month!