Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Shenanigans..

Kneaders is a great place to lunch for women who want to get together, or a light business gathering, but NOT the place to have a ward nursery take over.

Today I went to lunch with the other young women's leaders.. We are all moms of young children.. Needless to say, the place was quickly filled to the rafters with six women and ten kids (6 of whom were two). JJ had just had to sit through one and a half hours of quietly sitting/playing/reading at my doctor's office (waiting times at the OB=pure frustration), so I knew this wouldn't be pretty.

The children quickly realized their strength in numbers, and started circling the display shelves (filled with nice, but totally breakable merchandise). My little stinker was trying to persuade the other children to follow him outside, among other things. Not only that, but they already had their gorgeous Christmas tree up with all of the fancy ornaments that you could buy and that was just too good to not mess with.

When I had had enough, I bid my goodbyes and stood up to find my child had just broken one of the ornaments. I was frustrated, but really no biggie...it was just a glass ball... I was glad he broke that, and not some other, nicer, decoration. I picked both the broken glass and my child up and walked to the counter where I explained what had happened:

"Excuse me, miss, but I am the mother who has been chasing my child around this place for the past 45 minutes.. anyway... as I am sure you KNEW was coming, he broke this ornament and we need to pay for it."
Then I look down to see the price..$4.99. I half wanted to just run.. I mean , come on.. FIVE BUCKS for a glass ball??? Puh-lease.

Mad I would have to spend another $5 on what was shaping up to be more of a cardio workout than a lunch date anyway, I told JJ the money would be coming out of his piggy bank. To that, he just looked up to the lady and said, "I am sorry I broke your Christmas tree." Totally sincerely and unprompted...
Those big blues work every time.. she told us it was fine, and of course how darling he is.

I am thinking next time.. Play place???

8 comments:

zealygirl said...

That sounds highly frustrating, then totally precious. I think it's great you still venture out to do these kind of things. Towing and chasing a two-year-old, plus being pregnant was enough to dissuade me from all but the most kid-friendly places.

thekirnancrib said...

AWWW!!!! such a sweet boy.

KiMnRoB said...

That is the cutest story ever.
I love that little guy!

LindsSawyer said...

How funny. Love the story. How about a rubber room next time for lunch? HA!

pinkmorning said...

he is such a sweet boy. it was fun to see you today.

Gustogirl said...

Playplaces were created for a reason!!! Glad his big blue eyes got you guys off the hook. 5 dollars for a glass ball, YIKES!

Silly Little White Girls said...

I didn't even know that had happened! Good thing he's so charming! :) And Chris left right after you did and said, "Maybe next time we should get take out and eat at my house where the kids can run wild." Definitely a good idea.

Thelissa said...

Very cute that he said sorry. It is hard to stay mad at them when they are so sweet huh.