Sunday, November 9, 2008

Just Trying to stay busy.

A couple months ago I was at Lowes and they had a few lamps that were on DEEP clearance. I got JJ a baseball lamp for his room that was regularly $50, and I purchased it for $3 (that is right: shade, plug and everything BRAND NEW for $3). I kept looking and found another lamp for $3 too. I didn't need it, but I bought it because it was just too good of a deal. (shade is pictured above.)

Yesterday I felt absolutely compelled to work on/finish the nursery (because you know baby can't survive without decorated walls and lamps in his room... ).. So I spent the morning painting a stripe on the walls, then I resurrected that cheap Lowes Lamp and I covered the shade in some fabric to match the nursery. I had never even thought of doing something like that before, and hadn't the first clue how to, but I was shocked at how easy it was. Thanks, once again, google and the nesting instinct! I thought I would share how I did it so that anyone who has an old lamp can refresh a room with it!


Lamp Shade Tutorial (No Sewing Required)
First you have to measure your lamp shade so you are sure to get enough fabric.

Next, I bought a layer of thick muslin and my printed fabric to help the stripes from shining through when turned on. (you could avoid that if you just purchase a plain white shade. I really like the shape of this one though, just no the pattern). With a coupon, the total for materials was about $6.

Third, you can either trace the shade on the fabric (and muslin) while you roll it along, or just measure if you are accurate. Add about one inch seam allowance.

Then, you just use spray adhesive on both the shade and the fabric and press them together while slightly stretching the fabric over the shade. I ironed the raw edge down and used a hot glue gun to secure the very end of the fabric to give it a more finished look.

I then took strips of my fabric, ironed them to make sort of a "roll" and then hot glued them to the shade on the top and bottom.


I think it turned out pretty cute: totally hand made, only cost $9, and matches my baby's new room perfectly!

20 comments:

Erin said...

That is too cute and it sounds super easy! I can sew but I will take a glue gun project over a sewing project any day. Thanks for the idea!

zealygirl said...

That is a very cool lamp, and it looks much better after your improvements. I love it! Great project!

thekirnancrib said...

so cute! your little babystrology baby has a lot more meat on its bones than mine... I think gotta get some more omega-3s! hehe

CoreyandShanda said...

It is darling! You are good!!

Gustogirl said...

You put the rest of us slobs to shame!!

DAVE - STEPH FAMILY said...

Oh my goodness!! I am so impressed. I always knew you were better than Martha!!! You should have a tv show or write a book!!

Deacons Mommy said...

What to go lady. You should be very proud. I have a MAC class for you! Dec. 6th Lets chat at book club.

KiMnRoB said...

What CAN'T you do?
That looks so good!

Angie*Steve*Owen said...

this has always been a little curiosity in the back of mind, thank you for letting me know it can and how it can be done!

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

I am interested to experience this nesting thing. . .since I didn't quite get there last time! ;) You are so crafty and the lamp is absolutely darling! I have always hated looking for lamps because it seems practically impossible to find the right one and they are usually so expensive! Way to go!

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

Thanks for the b-day wish! My b-day is the 2nd and Ang's is the 9th, but we are exactly a week apart! I didn't realize you and I were just a couple months apart either and I agree we look so EARLY 20's!! None of this down hill 20's stuff!

Rachel said...

Very cute!
When I think of how I decorated my son's room nearly 8 years ago....I cringe! It was so nerdy! I didn't have all of you crafty bloggers showing what they do. I have gotten so many ideas for the future babies that my husbands says I can't have :P Now I need ideas on how to get him to agree to another baby.

Nap Warden said...

How cute is that! Color me impressed:)

Nesting with Grace said...

hello next design star :)
That looks so good, I love the colors! I have never done my own, only taken them to felt lighting to have someone else do it for way too much money!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh wow, girl, your talent overfloweth! Now go, git-r-done (how EXCITING)!

LindsSawyer said...

Looks good! You must be seriously nesting huh? Glad you are getting some projects done!

lys said...

Such talent!

time-for-a-paws said...

WOAH!! Your are crazy good at anything you try and do! jealous much!

Shelf said...

Even when I was nesting I did not get the craft skills...I am jealous! Perhaps, it is I just don't have the patience! They look great.

Jones Family said...

It looks so good!