Friday, November 7, 2008

It's beginning to Look a LOT like...

I have a sister who greets the holidays with eager arms. Each year she is 100% shopped (and probably wrapped) for Christmas by Thanksgiving.
I always thought this was admirable, but knew that if I started that early, I would just never stop, and thus end up completely spoiling my child and spending far too much.

This year is a different story. I am pregnant and scheduled to deliver right around Christmas which means one of several things: I could end up going early (fingers crossed), but then will be overwhelmed by a newborn and won't have to time to take care of Christmas lists, or I will be so pregnant I will just want to stay home, drink hot cocoa, and watch made for tv Christmas movies (my ultimate holiday indulgence). It just doesn't sound that fun to chase JJ around Target or the mall with swollen ankles, an aching back, and long lines.

Therefore, I have now done about 80% of my Christmas shopping. The items that need to be shipped are ready to go (or on their way). I feel like a freak though driving from place to place listening to Christmas music (to help get me in the mood) with a trunk load of gifts. Also, I just feel like I am a kid waiting for Christmas and feeling like it is FOREVER away.. because it pretty much is.
Oh well.
Am I crazy, or have any of you started your shopping??

Also.. GO UTES. I am not a huge football fan, but that TCU vs Utah game last night was so exciting! I am glad that the stress didn't put me into labor!

16 comments:

Nap Warden said...

I can't even think about it...I am so bad at shopping:P Just don't ask;)

thekirnancrib said...

you are AWESOME!!!!! an inspiration! even though I probably will still be shopping on Christmas Eve.... ;)

KiMnRoB said...

You are always prepared! I'm sure I won't start shopping until the first day of Dec.
And thanks for letting us stay over for the game! GO UTES!

pinkmorning said...

no, i think it is a good idea. we always try to be done by thanksgiving but always have a few last minute things to pick up in december. i was thinking about this yesterday and the last two christmases we have done 90% of our shopping online. it is so nice. you can get just about anything online and many places have free shipping with a minimal purchase. we are about 75% done and i am so excited to not have to fight the crowds (even though so far everything i have bought has been online, haha).

Ashlie said...

Wow! That is so impressive. I thought I was doing good because I have two presents purchased to date. I also like the shout-out to the Utes. I cannot talk today because I was screaming so hard last night. What an intense game!!

Rachel said...

My best friend buys presents all year round...If she sees something that she knows someone will like she buys it...even if it is December 26th. All that matters to her is if it is clearance.
I also started to do it and found out rather quickly that it wasn't going to work for me. I am such a kid that I can't sit on any presents---I have to give them to the person right away...I get too excited about what I about what I picked out for them.

LindsSawyer said...

Yea the Christmas music in Starbucks...Costco...Everywhere is getting me in the mood. Utes? Who cares.

Thelissa said...

I haven't actually purchased anything, but I know in my head what I need to go get. I love shopping early. Then I can enjoy the holidays without having a to do list in the back of my head all the time.

Emily said...

since the Paul and Peggy Proctors are together for Thanksgiving this year (and not Christmas) we are celebrating both holidays in the same week, so we can exchange Proctor side gifts in person. So--- yes, most of my shopping is done! It's kind of a relief. But it is hard to set limits so early in the game :)

lindsEy said...

Usually Christmas just stresses me out... but this year, I feel differently. I'm excited. I do however have to abide by Ammon's strict house rules, no christmas of any form until after Thanksgiving.

Anna-Lisa said...

Sometimes shopping early is FUN! That way you can take a little time, the stores aren't completely packed, you can find a good deal and then you can just plain enjoy all of December...or make tons and tons of sugar cookies!

It was good to read your blog and see how you are doing. Good luck in the rest of your pregnancy.

Gustogirl said...

I love shopping early and being ready, but can't handle the Christmas music until after Thanksgiving! However, our "christmas station" has already started playing it!

Natalie said...

I've started, but my budget is how I stop! It is fun, though, huh? You are getting so close! By the way, my birthday is December 15th! It's a great birthday! :)

Connie said...

I have about 70 % of my shopping done. I start shopping and planning in July. It makes it so much easier for me and less stressful when I plan that far ahead.

I also start listening to Christmas music in July. It is never too early IMO.

DAVE - STEPH FAMILY said...

I have bought one gift! Which is an improvement over other years for me! I usually start on black friday. I think I am going to stress this year though having to buy for 4. Just trying to keep it straight and hide it is a chore! Good job on being so organized.

time-for-a-paws said...

Your good! I haven't gotten absolutley anything!