Monday, October 6, 2008

The Yogurt That Makes you *POOP*

...and other gross stuff. Sorry

So, JJ has the runs (although I don't think you can call it that since he just goes in his diaper). Poor kid is predisposed to having diaper rash anyway, and pooping 83 times an hour doesn't help the cause. We have a paste that is prescribed by his pediatrician and even that is running low as he DEMANDS it each and every time we even approach the "change you" subject.

Anyway, a few months ago my sister's kids were in town with their own killer case of ...you know. The pharmacist recommended they try ACTIVIA and sure enough it cleared their
symptoms right up.

Weird since I am pretty sure Jamie Lee's claims say just the OPPOSITE.

After two days of my poor son's troubles (and I am not gonna lie and say it is a picnic for me either), I decided to try some Activia for JJ.

SHO 'NUF. It works!

Now curious, I googled it and found an article that discussed the same question. Apparently the probiotics that are in the yogurt are perscribed to travelers going to "Don't drink the water" destinations. So here is the thing, I am starting to wonder if it REALLY works to regulate the irregular..or if it is just for toddlers with diarrhea.. (there I said it... I can see my buzz search words.. babies, throw up, diarrhea).

10 comments:

Linds said...

I'm making a mental note about this stuff... I hate when Porter has the runs.

megan&steve said...

poor JJ. poor you. I'm glad you found a solution. I want to see prego pictures!

Erin said...

Just a tip but you can buy the probiotics at any health food store. And then stir it into the yogurt of your choice (or they have pills for adults). We always put the kids on it whenever they go on antibiotics--or my poor pregnant body on Zofran. I am glad you found something that worked! Poop is no fun in great frequency.

LindsSawyer said...

You MUST be prego if you are talking so openly about BMs...Funny! I hear Activia works like a charm....FUNNY!

pinkmorning said...

Cindy told me about this stuff when i was pregnant and it totally worked, though i didn't like the taste much at all. i am sorry JJ isn't feeling well.

Nap Warden said...

Ummm...totally trying this for the toddlers next time they have you know what.

Gustogirl said...

Yep, it worked so well for my kids!! So good to know!!

Thelissa said...

I am guessing it works for two reasons. It has the added fiber, which you would think would make him go more. However, it has the live active cultures to add the good bacteria into his body. If you gave him the other kinds of yogurt, it would probably work too, but may plug him up. Since active has both the good bacteria AND the right kind of fiber, it clears him up without plugging him up. Those are my thoughts and I'm sticking to them :) ( I don't know if any of that is really true, but it is all that would make sense to me!)

zealygirl said...

JLP has had difficulty getting over his diarrhea, and the Activia did help. It didn't stop the infection, but it did help so the BMs were a little more solid. I just found that our Associated Food Store has Western Family brand yogurt that is a knock off. SOOO much cheaper and seemed to work just as well. I also give him chewable probiotic tablets daily.

Maurine said...

Glad it works.