Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yummy Soup!

Jeremy and I like to TRY to be healthy.. sometimes. The other day on one of our "health" kicks we went to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch (cue mounds of lettuce drenched in high cal dressing, bowls of soup, and of course ice cream for dessert). Ha.

Anyway, they had this DELICIOUS Lemon Chicken Orzo soup that Jer got and we both enjoyed. *wink* (Jer HATES sharing his food). It was yummy and warm but felt light since there is that hint of lemon in there. I have been scouring the internet for a similar recipe to recreate at home since. Yesterdsay was a bit rainy so I was so excited to try out my new soup!

I found one that was close and changed it a bit to make it seem more like the restaurant's version.

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup

8 Cups Chicken Broth
3/4 cups uncooked ORZO

salt

pepper

2 large eggs

1 Lemon, juiced

Bring the broth to boil in a pot. Add Orzo (or rice) and simmer uncovered until it is tender (around 10 minutes)

In a medium, heat proffed bowl wisk eggs and lemon juice together until frothy. Remove a laddle of the heated broth and temper it into the egg mixture (just whisk the eggs quickly while slowly pouring in the boiling broth). Pour the egg mixture into the soup and let it all combine, DO NOT BOIL AGAIN. Serve immediately or keep warm over LOW heat.

**I added chopped carrots, corn, and cooked, cubed chicken for a little heartier soup and even JJ slurpe dit right up!

So yummy, so EASY.




5 comments:

Gustogirl said...

Sounds so good!!! I will be trying this one. We love soups at our house. Add some yummy warm bread(mmm, I'm getting hungry!) Perfect for cooler weather.

pinkmorning said...

mmm, that does sound yummy, plus i love using my lemon juicer!

shauna said...

Yum... I've never been much of a cook, but have really caught the bug lately as I try to make healthier meals that my kids eat. Thanks for sharing!

KiMnRoB said...

You are always trying something new in the kitchen. I wish I were that adventurous! I def want to try this soup. I love lemon anything.

Beanie said...

We'll try it!