Monday, August 25, 2008

Big Boy Bed Update.

We are on day Three of great "big boy bed" migration, and I have to say that I was so right to set my expectations low, because thus far, it has made for a pretty good experience (at least for bedtime).

I met with JJ's new pediatrician and she recommended just putting a twin bed on the box spring on the floor so that it is not too intimidating for him. Since I hadn't found a bed I liked yet, this seemed like a pretty good solution. We got a great deal at RC Willey, and I went about painting JJ"s old book shelf dark blue and bringing up our old dresser so that he would have a whole new "big boy room." We really tried to make this exciting for JJ. He "helped" us take down his crib and moved it into "baby brudder's room."

At bedtime, we took a deep breath, said our prayers, read our books, sang our songs, and said "night, nights, JJ." We shut the door and didn't hear form him again. I couldn't believe it! He LOVED being a big boy! Was this really going to be THAT easy??!??

The next day was Sunday and after church we tried to put him down for a nap. Naps seem to be the hard part. Although he is barely two and still NEEDS a nap, he doesn't really want one, so we heard his pitter-patter up and down the hall for sometime before we just bagged the nap all together (we had to go to a family dinner). That night, however, he slept in his bed again, but when I woke up I found him asleep on the his floor.. no where near his bed.

Today, after an unsuccessful naptime, we set up his pack n play, and he is napping in there. He wasn't happy about it, so I hope this will serve as a warning for future break downs at naptime.

We can tell that this will be an adjustment, but he has adapted fairly well so far I think. He wants nothing to do with a crib and talks a lot about the baby and his new big boy room.

8 comments:

pinkmorning said...

oh, i am glad he is doing well. that is so fun that he is excited about baby brudder's room too, haha. what a cutie.

LindsSawyer said...

Glad it went well. Glad your pediatrician was help!Before you know it he will be starting his first day of Kidergarten!

Thelissa said...

Sounds like things are right on track. I'm so glad he is doing well! Makes it so much easier on mommy!

Gustogirl said...

Keep the threat alive! I can't stand having our pack and play up, but it helps keep J in bed.

time-for-a-paws said...

Sounds like he is having a lot of fun and so are you. I am excited for "baby brudder"!

Nap Warden said...

Well, sounds good so far. We are nowhere near giving up naps...I'll have to see how things go with that...

Rachel said...

It sounds as if he is as ready as you guys are. You lucked out to have a child that is excited about growing up rather that freaked out about losing his baby status. Both of mine are always happy at each new big boy/girl step. You can see how proud they are of themselves. Fun to watch really!

Grant * Kami * Addi said...

I like the mattress on the floor idea, if they roll off the bed they don't have very far to go before hitting the floor. Plus it's easier for them to get in and out of bed (well sometimes thats a good thing). I am glad to hear that he is ajusting well to the whole big boy idea, what a cutie!!!