Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cheesefest 2008


In the grand tradition of great dance movies. Few reign supreme as great in all our minds. Think Dirty Dancing, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Flash dance, etc. However, there is one lesser known great that I just have to comment on (and expose you to if you have not yet enjoyed it), and that it Strictly Ballroom. With it's heavy Australian accents, over the top acting, and shameless dancers in love montages it quickly became one of my favorites in college. We loved to watch it over and over and quote the awful dialogue.


I was so excited when I turned on my TV yesterday to see it just starting on the Independent Film Channel. I quickly tivo'd it and have been laughing so hard while watching it today. Please get your cheesiest girlfriends together and watch it. If only to laugh at the ridiculousness. You SOO won't be sorry.


In other dance show news. Tune in SYTYCD starts the really show tonight!! Love THIS SHOW!!!!

14 comments:

pinkmorning said...

i, too love this show and watched it a bunch with roommates in college...now i am jonesin' to see it.

Linds said...

I love love love dance movies of the 80's. I'm so watching this one.

MamaGeek said...

Now you've got me interested. I may just add this to my NetFlix queue!

LindsSawyer said...

LOVE Girls just wanna have fun me, Josie and Shea have watched it together at least 100 times...I haven't seen the ballroom flick but will pick it up! I am OUT for the gym in the morning forgot I have a marathon dentist appt at 7:40 a crown and replace a filling OUCH! Sorry!

Mariah "Sniggles" Proctor said...

I love Paul Mercurio, Australians, Dance movies, and ridiculous dialogue and they all collide in "Strictly Ballroom"---LOVE THAT MOVIE!

Nap Warden said...

You know I'm going to record this now:) I love SYTYCD, I never told anyone...shhh;)

Natalie said...

Strictly Ballroom is one of my favorite movies of all time.

PS: As I'm writing this comment, I'm watching SYTYCD! :)

Gustogirl said...

I love SYTYCD. I am glad that I got you hooked too. Loved it tonight. I think I will have to post about my favortie routine.

WhenWillTheySplit said...

Thanks for these great tips! Only I will have to watch with my husband, who LOVES LOVES LOVES to dance. And laugh. The cheesier, the better!

My husband turned 60 yesterday... he's ready for the next 60!

Didn't catch SYTYCD this week. But last week... WOW. Sometimes I want to cry (that's the grandma in me).

Sharon -

PinksandBluesGirls said...

Thanks for these great tips! Only I will have to watch with my husband, who LOVES LOVES LOVES to dance. And laugh. The cheesier, the better!

My husband turned 60 yesterday... he's ready for the next 60!

Didn't catch SYTYCD this week. But last week... WOW. Sometimes I want to cry (that's the grandma in me).

Sharon -

shelf said...

You gotta love classic 80's dance films. I will have to watch this one with Lindsay.

Spammon said...

Are there any scenes of 2 guys having a dance fight? And instead of knives, they use ribbons while dancing around? If there is, I'd like to be in the sequel.

KiMnRoB said...

Never heard of this movie before?
As for SYTYCD- did you notice that there was always ONE PERSON from each pair that was from SLC? Or at least they auditioned in UT so they are representin'. Love that show.

Gina said...

Loved it. Ridiculousness and all!