Friday, June 13, 2008

Book Club Recap

This month's book was the disappointing first Adult Fiction release from Stay at home mom-turned author, Stephenie Meyer. *MOST* of us loved her Twilight series for the pure entertainment/junk food quality they lent, but personally, I felt The Host was boring at best.

There were some girls who enjoyed the book, but many had a hard time even getting through it.

My biggest complaint was the fact that I didn't find it entertaining enough to qualify as "junk food" for the brain (which was my justification for the Twilight books). Without the entertainment factor, it was hard to read pointless descriptions of caves and heat and other worlds. The initial premise was an intriguing one with an alien taking over a human body and unable to quell the human spirit that exists therein. The struggle between these two people should have been central to the story, but I found the characters to be flat and frankly, much the same as characters we have met from her before. (Doc=Carlisle, Ian=Jacob/Edward, etc).

Oh well.. as my mom said "she can cry all the way to the bank." And I will still totally buy the next book in the Twilight series and go to the midnight showing of the Movie in December.

Thanks for hosting us, Lindsay! It was great and it was fun to have some new faces!

11 comments:

Shanda&Corey said...

It definitely could have been better...but oh well! It was worth the read just to get together and discuss it! (I love hearing other peoples points of views!!)
Can't wait for December for the midnight movie!!! :)

LindsSawyer said...

Perfect recap of the book and book club! Can't wait to start Lovely Bones today!

Tammy said...

I am still struggling to get into this book. Glad to know that I am not the only one struggling.

Linds said...

Ammon's asked me why it has taken me so long to finish The Host... hopefully I do finish. Even though it has been slow, I am still curious how it ends.

Spammon said...

And I love the fact that Lindsey likes to red 1,000,000 page books that may or may not be boring. It's some serious XBOX time!

Beanie said...

Our book club is justs reading Kaye Gibbons, "On the Occasion of My Last Afternoon." Some didn't like it, but I am totally enjoying it. So here's a recommendation for you.

MamaGeek said...

There goes getting THAT book.

*le sigh*

Nesting with Grace said...

that was fun to go! can't wait for the read a thon...I will bring my pillow :)

Jones Family said...

I need to join your book club via blogspot!!! If we lived in Utah I would totally come... but then I would live in a place that snows. How the prego-ness? We need to reunite our two crazy boys! I know Kevin is always up for a trip to Utah!

Ben-Joelle-Dane said...

I feel like I haven't seen you for so long! I miss you. We saw each other almost everyday for awhile there...let me know when you're going to work out and I'll meet you there!

Nap Warden said...

If I had one moment to read, it's good to know this one is a pass:)