Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pampering the YW


Last night with visions of Jennifer Garner in "13 Going on 30" dancing through my head, I hosted about 11 young women (12-13 year olds) for a makeup and pedicure party at my house. I was a little worried as a good portion of the girls rarely wear make up at all, but I am pretty sure they all had a great time. Anyone who serves in the Young Women should definitely try this for an activity. We had a couple of those foot spa thingys goung and the girls had a blast soaking their feet and then painting each other's fingers and toes.

I picked a girl who had shown some good leadership qualities and told everyone what I had observed her doing.. I then told her that she could pick a girl and share what you liked about her to use the other foot spa, and that is how we set up the rotation.

The whole time I was putting makeup on each girl and giving them fun little tips that they may or may not use. I really thought that for this age group, it helped to have the pedicures going in addition to the makeup since it kept things really moving. It took a little longer than I planned, so it definitely helped to have another leader there to help organize the pedicures while I did the makeup.

I then put together little handouts with dollar spot (from Target) Pond's make-up remover wipes, a rice Krispie treat and a bottle of flavored water with a note that said: "TREAT" yourself to beautiful skin by always removing your makeup before bed and drinking lots of water.

All in all it was pretty successful for an activity and I definitely think that older girls would enjoy this one too.

19 comments:

pinkmorning said...

oh, what lucky girls to be pampered and to have such a fun leader! sounds like a complete success!

KiMnRoB said...

You are so creative for thinking that up!
I love it and I'm sure the girls did too! It's always fun to get pampered...

LindsSawyer said...

Sounds fun I did that for my sis's ward last year and it seemed like they really appreciated it! FUN!

Angie said...

that sounds like fun and I know I would have loved a leader such as yourself when I was a "young women"
Hope you are feeling better...

Linds said...

I wish I were a yw leader, that sounds like fun!

Shanda&Corey said...

13 going on 30 is one of my favorite movies...what a perfect activity! I'm sure the girls loved getting pampered, you are so creative & thoughtful! I'm totally stealing your handout idea if I ever have to do something like that!!! :)

Ashlie said...

Wow! You are so daring and creative. I bet they all had an amazing time. Hope you are feeling okay. I am so excited for my doctors appt on June 4th. I still don't feel like it is real because I haven't seen the baby or heard a heart beat.

thekirnancrib said...

SO FUN!!! wow, I wish I could come! :)

Nap Warden said...

Sounds like fun...what a great idea!

Silly Little White Girls said...

They really did have fun ... you did a great job. Thanks for letting me join in. :)

Deacons Mommy said...

Love it! So glad it worked out so well, I especially loved the rotation idea.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

Wow! That is so cool! And how special and creative. I'm thinking pink on this one... !! :)
Audrey

MamaGeek said...

Brilliant idea - and I LOVE the new blog design again!

Travis & Leslie Doman said...

Wow great job!! And I know your not feeling to hot. Hang in there, We will have to have lots of playdates this summer to help you entertain little J. Love ya Leslie

Darrin said...

How cute! I'll bet they had the greatest time!!

Spammon said...

Sounds like a lot of estrogen floating around the place. Where did Jeremy hide at?

BritGal' Sarah said...

What a fun idea, I bet they had a blast

zealygirl said...

I wish they would have done that when I was in YW...heck, I would still love to do that now. Makeup has never been my strong point, and pedicure would be glorious right now! Great idea!

The Style Sisters said...

Very fun idea and fun blog you have. We recently made PJ pants with our YW. You can check out my blog at www.thestylesisters.blogspot.com

Karin