Monday, April 7, 2008

TOBG


Our book club selection for the month is "The Other Boleyn Girl," which is essentially a novel based on the story of Henry IV and Anne Boleyn (and her adulterous sister, and flamboyant brother). Despite the fact that I found few redeeming characteristics in any of the characters, I really enjoyed the book. I can't wait to hear every one's insights this week at book club. Anyone who needs information on where to go and how to get there on Thursday shoot me an email.


Anyway, I went to see the movie based on the book (and when I say based... I mean that the character's names were the same...and I think that it was based in the same time period) to see how Hollywood interpreted the story. I was more than displeased. I am not sure whether I did not like the movie because I had read the book, or if my reading of the book was the thing that kept me in the theater? The acting was just fine, and the costuming was remarkable, but there was literally zero character development.


Don't get me wrong, I understand that translating a 700 page novel into a 2 hour movie is a tough job, but I don't feel like anything that stuck out to me in the book was demonstrated on film.


Sometimes Hollywood just misses it.


With all that being said, it is always fun to see characters that you have come to know through reading portrayed on film, so if you have read the book this movie would be a good rental. Just don't expect too much.


See you at Book Club! I will be the one with the chip on my shoulder...

13 comments:

pinkmorning said...

where is it being held this month? i have only read one page so far so i only have three days to read it but you never know:)

KiMnRoB said...

So the movie was a miss huh? I'm still curious so I guess I'll save it for a redbox night.

LindsSawyer said...

DITO! Looking forward to Thursday but the movie was a HUGE dissapointment!

Grant & Kami said...

That is so cute that JJ liked Addi. She was in baby girl heaven at the party with all the boys around, I told Grant to keep an eye on her becuase she is going to give us a run for our money. Unless we arrange for JJ and Addi to get married. LOL :0) It was so nice seeing you at the party we really need to get together soon.

Pinks and Blues said...

Thanks for giving me the heads up on this one Rachel. I wanted to head to the movies one night this week for a little rest and relax time... and I was thinking of seeing this. I will definitely see what else is playing... !
xo,
Audrey

Shanda&Corey said...

Haven't seen the movie...so I don't think I will!! I did like the book though!! I CAN'T come to book club meeting though, because we are having a panel presentation in class..so I have to be there the whole time! :(
Next month FOR SURE!!!

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

I am so bad...I didn't read the book of the month again this time around, but I struggle reading anything that has meaning. I like books that don't cause me to think. Hmmmm...sounds like I need to read these books more than anyone after those comments! Ha ha! Anyway, I am thinking about making a cameo to say hey...I wish I would just get on the ball!

Linds said...

I'll save it for rental too!

MamaGeek said...

Time and time again! Dang it. I so want to see this movie.

Spammon said...

You're all nuts in the head. Listen to me and learn. NEVER EVER read a book before the movie. Watch the movie first and you will enjoy it. Then read the book and you will probably enjoy it more, but still like the movie. Or better yet, don't even bother with the book. :D

megan&steve said...

Rachel, do you remember watching Tremors at the sand dunes in Rexburg? Hahah. Steve and I watched it last night and I thought of you.

Nap Warden said...

Oh no...this was on my list. To bad to hear it's a miss.

shauna said...

You're all hip and literate and stuff. I was just trying to get back into the Kite Runner and you've switched already. I'll have to sign up when I'm more on my game! :)