Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In the Zone

Sometimes you are just in the ZONE baby.

I don't know how I ever exercised without a heart rate monitor. I got mine for Christmas (as it is a little pricey) but I can't believe I ever tried working out without it! It is my trainer, my partner, and my best friend when I am at the gym.

Please excuse my naivety, but I learned something this week at my cycle class (I have heard it preached before, but I LEARNED it finally last week). You see, I spend the majority of my cardio time with my heart rate WAY too high (for me, this is like 177-180 bpm). The result is a red face, and tired lungs. The trainer said that when you are that high, you are just burning sugar, and that you should spend most of your time in a zone 3 (for me this is more like 160-168 bpm).

Fascinating.

I have tried to run and cycle with this mindset. I do some interval work and get my heart rate in the 90% range, but I only spend one minute out of every six there. What a difference it makes.

I am sad to say that my half marathon training has almost stopped as I have been enjoying group fitness as of late, but yesterday I hopped on the treadmill and keeping my heart rate in this "fat burning" mode... I pounded out three miles. Sure, my legs felt like they were going to fall off for the rest of the day, but I probably could even gone another mile in terms of breath and energy.

Love it. Thought I'd share it.

That is all.

19 comments:

Linds said...

I need one of those!

Gustogirl said...

You go girl! Make it burn!!!

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

Good job! Sounds like you have really been working out hard lately! Props to you!

Let me know if you got Stockton's thank you card. I am curious to know what the deal is when I mail things to you...

pinkmorning said...

i am glad you are enjoying your new gym.

MamaGeek said...

Really? All I usually need is my iPOD, but now you have me intrigued and such. :)

Nap Warden said...

You know, I have been meaning to get one of these. Is there an "it" brand to get?

LindsSawyer said...

Rach,
I am with you on this I LOVE the heart rate monitor and exercising without it is no use at all.

LindsSawyer said...

PS Loved the fusion class today what a perfect lunchtime break! Too bad the life cafe lunch tasted as healthy as it was..HA! JJ's face when eating my salt and vinegar chips...Priceless...

Lynell said...

You are such a motivation to me. Every morning I wake up determined eat better and exercise and rarely does it happen. What is wrong with me? Maybe it is because when I do work out my heart rate is way to high and I just end up miserable. And then maybe it is just because I am lazy. Either way I think the heart rate moniter is a great idea. I need to get one.

shauna said...

You ROCK! And I'll have to look into one of those heart moniter thingies. I'm currently in the market for an elliptical and have kept my eye on Craiglist. Maybe after the tax rebate comes I can join you in all your fitiness.

KiMnRoB said...

I need to get one of those.
Any recommendations from you on which brand, type, amount etc. would be appreciated!

Spammon said...

I like to run to the dinner table. It sure makes the run worth it in the end.

Thelissa said...

Isn't the fat burning zone a phenomenon! I learned the same thing a few months ago. Who knew that during all of those purple faced work-outs I wasn't doing much good for myself. Makes sense why the weight loss doesn't go as fast at that rate. Good idea to have a heart monitor on to keep you in check.

Grant & Kami said...

That is a good to know for the fat burning. I just need to start working out, well I do yoga everyday and that is a good workout if you ask me, but I am not a workout pro like the rest of you....maybe someday...we can only hope! :o)

Angie*Steve*Owen said...

when I rejoin the exercising community I need me one of those!

MomOf3 said...

This is so interesting! I just completed my first 5K last Sunday. When I started running my heart rate was in the 180s. As I have run more and more, it is actually getting lower. Now I am more in the 160s when I run. I am trying to get faster though!

Ben-Joelle-Dane said...

Heart rate monitors are so so important while working out. Most of the time its because people think they're working hard...and they really aren't. Its a great way to make sure you get the MOST out of your work out. Once people use one, they usually fall in love.
Anyways, I was sad you had to leave fusion this morning. Poor little JJ. I wanted to talk to you after. Well, let me know what classes you're going to next Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I'd love to meet up with you.

Angie said...

I am so impressed with how committed you are to working out. Another job well done. That is great! It is always fun to find a new gadget or something to make exercising exciting again.

BritGal' Sarah said...

I have been thinking of investing in one, so thanks for the thumbs up. How do you calculate where your ideal bpm is though?