Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Atonement


We changed the book club selection this month to Atonement by Ian McEwan and after my inital wrestle to get "into it" I finished it this morning. The writing is masterful, but it was not what I expected when I picked it up to read. As I mentioned, I found it a little hard to really get into, but that is what I love about book club... reading what you normally wouldn't on a deadline. I can't wait to discuss it, because I am still trying to figure it out.... (just kidding... mostly) See you next Thursday girls! Anyone who is new and needs directions to Ashlie's, feel free to email me.

8 comments:

Shanda&Corey said...

Have you seen the movie?? For some reason it sort of helped me get into the book! It isn't near as detailed..but I liked it!

BritGal' Sarah said...

You know I don't think you're alone on this! My booklovers thread friends have all seemed to struggle through Atonement, so I gave it a miss altogether and just watched the movie. That was just ok and to be honest made me glad I hadn't bothered with the book! LOL

LindsSawyer said...

Girl,
I just don't think I am going to finish that bad boy especially now that I left my book on the plane..DUH! I am going to cheat and watch the movie and leave the discussion to the smart girls in the group that actually READ! HA!

MamaGeek said...

Okay, I know I'm not in da club, but I hear the movie was fantastic! Having said that, read the book first obviously, right? :)

jayna said...

I've heard the same mixed reviews from a lot of people! I'll have to read this someday!

Nesting with Grace said...

OK what the heck this is the book that I actually bought to read and I have been trying to make time for it...now I am not too convinced!

Travis & Leslie Doman said...

I can't wait to see what everyone sais about it!! I liked it a lot but it is a hard read!! excited to see you there! love les

Deacons Mommy said...

I think it is a excellent movie, and a really complex excellent book but definately not a quick read. Can not wait to chat about it!