Sunday, April 20, 2008

...As the day is Long.

The night before I got about three hours of sleep.. It could have been nerves for my upcoming YW lesson or a late night caffeinated drink, but I like to think that I was just really excited to go to the "MAC pro tour" the next morning.

I have always loved make up and took a few theater make up classes in high school and college, so when Lindsay mentioned how much fun she had at last Pro Tour class, I jumped on the opportunity to go to this one.

Our instructor was Gregory Arlt who is the Director of artistry or something for MAC cosmetics (Which is perhaps the BEST make up line... certainly it is my favorite), and make-up-er to the stars. Some of his client list includes Victoria Beckam, Pamela Anderson, Minnie Driver, and Lauren Becall. He was hilarious and we all instantly tried to think of ways to make him our new best friend. Can you imagine the perks that go along with best friending one with such makeup connections?

Anywho, After the class we got to pick out the tuition cost worth of make up and I ended up with some real treasures.... An instant favorite is the Fix Plus spray, and I am loving the new shadows I picked (Kid, Electra, nylon, and All that Glitters)

I took vigorous notes and have decided to do a Young Women's activity about make up application and technique for the girls. Should be fun.... course it won't end with a shopping spree at MAC...

Thought I would share a snippet of my favorite tips:
  • flick your brush before you put it to your face.
  • Use an angled brush and powder to fill in eyebrows from the top down.
  • for deep set eyes (like mine) use the contour color/darker color on the bottom of the bone, not right in the crease of the eyelid.
  • to apply shadow look down like a queen on her subjects to get a more blended look (this one was totally new.. and totally works!)

I have many more notes, and am having so much fun with my new make up.. Thanks Lindsay for suggesting it!

20 comments:

thekirnancrib said...

soooo fun! I would love to go to something like that!

MamaGeek said...

So when will you be over to give me an Extreme Makeover? :)

LOVE the new blog design! Again I might add.

Linds said...

Next time, I'm so going to this! I need all the make-up tips I can get... I'm going to try the tips you shared, and shpefully you will share some more.

Linds said...

shpefully really means hopefully...

Gustogirl said...

It is always fun to learn new ways to help us look gorgeous. Not that you need much help!

Thelissa said...

I don't know much about make-up. I mean I have been taught how to apply it and all, but my face is covered with freckles, lots of them! I have tried to use a base to smooth out my tones, but it just looks like I have make up on over my freckles, does that make sense? Anyway, I know I could use some, but not sure how to really do it right an have it look good instead of "make-up-ish", you know. Glad you had fun though, It does sound fun to get out and got to something like that!

Shanda&Corey said...

I would love to do something like this! I LOVE MAC..and I'm always happy to learn awesome ways to look fabulous!!! :)
What exactly does Fix Plus spray do??

Thelissa said...

K-thanks for the info on my blog. I do have a compact powder and it is good to know that it is what the guy would recommend. I guess I should just use it now! Anyway, thanks again.

Stephanie said...

Rachel that was really a fun class. It is always so good to see you. I loved learning all of those tips that they shared with us. And I absolutely love all of the new colors that I got. We definately have to make this a yearly girls day, it will be fun to see the latest look and colors that they use. It will be our yearly update.

KiMnRoB said...

I thought the class was AMAZING. I have never done anything like that so it was a great experience! And I'm feeling retard-DUR! for getting a credit and not spending the rest of what I had left. I'm already thinking about what I want to go back and get... I always learn my lesson a day late.
And your flowers look great!

shauna said...

Sounds like fun! Do share more tips (this house-frump could use all the beautification tips she can get...)

thekirnancrib said...

yay! hope it all goes well... I can't wait to see pics! :)

pinkmorning said...

glad you had a fun time.

LindsSawyer said...

Loved loved loved the class. Wish I could take both of those guys home with me....Super funny and great make up tips...lets make it a habit!

Nesting with Grace said...

Hey I would rather be Victoria B.
like you instead of old MARTHA :)
I will take it!

Grant & Kami said...

Thank you for the tips very helpful.

Nap Warden said...

I would love to take this class...before babies I was a makeup hound!

Deacons Mommy said...

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you loved it! Let me know if I can help you with a young womens makeup extravaganza!

BritGal' Sarah said...

Oh that sounds like a fantastic day out with a girlfriend - thanks for sharing tips :-)

Lara said...

Hey I saw your link off of kirnancrib's, and had to say thank you for the tip on deep-set eyes. I have never known how to wear eyeshadow...usually it just makes me look scary. :) Any more advice would be loved. Oh, and cute cute boy!