Thursday, March 27, 2008

What made me Cry today

Sometimes motherhood is hard. I wish naps were a bit longer and the tantrums were more few and far between. But yesterday at the park I had one of those moments that you just want to freeze and file for quick retrieval.
JJ and I were at playgroup and he wanted me to give him a kiss before he went to play with the older kids. I realized that my boy will not always want to give me kisses... especially not in front of other kids. He was so sweet as he called me "lovie" and ran up the stairs. (yes.. I am aware how cute the word "uhvee" sounds coming out of the 19 month old.. I wish I could freeze that too.. oh .. and his spontaneous "cank yous!").Then, today I caught the end of the new Trace Atkins song that says

"You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back, you're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.. These are some good times so take a good look around, You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this."

Yeah.. I know. I was BAWLING! I pulled over, climbed in the back seat and squeezed my sweet boy.

More often than not, I am the one who is looking to the next hurdle to jump. While single, I waited for marriage, while childless, motherhood... etc. I have tried to make an effort regarding JJ to cherish each moment and steer clear of using the phrase "it will be nice when... (he iw talking, walking, eating real food... etc)"

I already know that I will miss this, but it was a nice reminder!

13 comments:

Beanie said...

I loved this entry Rach and I identify with it so much. The other challenge is not to cling too much to the past so that nothing right now adds up to as much.

MamaGeek said...

This is my favorite post of yours of all time. You're so right. I don't want to wish my life away when these are truly the golden years!

And that song? I'd be bawling too!

MamaGeek said...

And, of course, I like the updated blog design. That goes without saying, mkay?

MomOf3 said...

This is so very true. Take lots of pictures and lots of video. :)

thekirnancrib said...

thanks for the reminder. :) I love that song.

Aunt Nicky said...

Rachel,

I found your blog! Weird how the internet works huh! :) This is a REALLY good post! Cherish the memories you have. Like I should say anything, I'm the one in the family that is not married (all the ones younger then me are getting married). I am starting to feel like an outcast and I long to get married and have kids of my home.

Nap Warden said...

I am soooo guilt of this. I need to cherish the now, it's just hard when Husband is away, it's all on me, and they are both screaming at me. Sometimes I just need to remember to take a breath:)

LindsSawyer said...

Cute post...what a sweet boy. See you at spinning if I can move.

KiMnRoB said...

Loved this post. I hate that time just flies by. The older we get, the faster it goes. I'm glad to see that you are taking a step back and just holding JJ and cherishing those moments that will soon pass as he gets older. He is such a sweet boy and brings so much happiness into our world. Give him a lovie for me, would you?

Nancy Brown said...

I wonder if it is a normal mom thing to wish for the next step. It reminds us of how much closer they are to more independance. I will tell you a quick story. When we had Ty and we were told he would "catch up" by 2 we really believed he would. He sat up, crawled and cruised. Now over a year later and age 2 coming and going we are still "waiting" for the day that he walks on his own. While I long for those days when he grows big. I long for different things. Like to see him walk. But either way, they still grow and learn. I find myself still calling him the baby... when he is a big boy. Last I saw JJ he was still a baby... Not any more. A cute little boy!!

Travis & Leslie Doman said...

Hey this is crazy My daughter Kendra is in JJ's little gym class!! I found you;re blog through Kim Skyles! how cute it is. I also know lindsey sawer and the whole west jordan clan!! well just had to say Hi and will see you at little gym. My blog is travisdomanfamily.blogspot.com
Thanks Leslie Doman

Shauna Belknap said...

What a great moment. I try to remind myself of this all the time these days. Especially when I get stressed with being mommy and trying to make a living. I forget that I do it all for them, I might as well treasure some of it. *sigh* Thanks for the wonderful reminder.

lys said...

You are so darling. I totally cry about those kinds of things too. I need to remember to write them down-- thanks for reminding me.

p.s. I still need to email you about the book club. I haven't forgotten about it-- I just have been kind of busy. . .