Privatization seems to be a growing trend among many friend's blogs. I, too, have gone the rounds for a few months considering this very idea. I decided against it, then decided to do it, and now I am at a place of stupor.
Here is a brief list of the reasons (in my brain) not to privatize vs. going private.
1. I really enjoy the community that is created through blogging.
2. I love the idea of putting thoughts out there for the world to view. I feel like it keeps me honest.
(And, perhaps the BIGGEST reason of all....)
3. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you can only issue 8 invitations and I have more people in my immediate family than that?
4. I feel like if there is some crazy person out there that wants to terrorize me or my family, than there are other ways to find me anyway. I mean Google Maps can go down to street level in some places and capture a picture of me and my son and our car and everything in the front yard!
1. I value the security of my family.
2. In some ways I like the idea of controlling who comes and goes... a bit.
Many of you already are private, so why did you decide? Those who aren't, what is keeping you from doing so? Am I pathetic that I love this little blogging community where I have met some new, fun friends in my similar life situation?
Some other ideas I have had are to request anyone linking to me to not use my "real name" (sounds so important haha) and just link to me through my blog name. Also to stop posting pictures of JJ. This is sad for me as my family is spread through the country and this is the best of relaying pictures and stories.
The final idea is to go somewhat anonymous on this blog and start a private, family blog with pictures and stories . One, if not both blogs will undoubtedly suffer this way, but I AM concerned about security?
Dispense advice. Please.