Thursday, March 13, 2008

Khatai or Can't I?

If someone were to stop me on the street and ask me what the nastiest 8 bucks I ever spent was, before last night, I wouldn't have had an answer for him. So, I guess that is the brightside of last night's baking fiasco.

As many of you know, we are having our first Book Club meeting tonight (you are all invited) and since we are reading "The Kite Runner," I thought it would be fun to make something ethnic.. to wear
(just kidding, just checking if you were paying attention)... actually I wanted to try these Afghani cookies that my dear sister gave me the recipe for. Although I had never heard of the spice called "cardamon," I full heartedly swung myself into the project.
On a little "me time" I went to the grocery store (sad, isn't it?) and dropped by the aisle to find this mystery spice. I squinted at the price tag, then rubbed my eyes, and looked even closer.... What kind of spice costs FIFTEEN BUCKS!!

This stuff must taste awesome!
Um... not so much. I finally found some on sale for $8 and I bought it for the experience.
As I baked the cookies, the nasty smell wafed through the house and my boys turned their noses up. I am not going to lie and say that I didn't heave a little in my mouth too.
Some interesting facts about Cardamom:
From the Ginger family,
Most commonly used in Tea or Coffee
In the Middle East, this spice is most commonly used in sweet foods such as baked goods.

Anyway, come tonight and experience the Eastern flavors in my Khatai Cookies (if you dare).

Should be memorable... at least.

11 comments:

LindsSawyer said...

At least you took a chance. 8 bucks for spices? Lookin forward to tonight...Next trip? CRUISE BABY! Hawaii lets go~

L said...

I am flooded with guilt!!

Dara said...

At least you tried it! Props, because I can't say I would have! Sorry they did not smell so good......

pinkmorning said...

i'm sorry they didn't turn out like you hoped. i am glad you didn't spend 15 dollars on the spice!

LindsSawyer said...

One major item I left off my week in review was your disposable camera...Maybe you should see what its worth on Antique road show! HA! I am glad i don't have to be embarrassed by your dated technology anymore props to the new expensive cam!

thekirnancrib said...

haha! too funny. i wish i could come!!! :(

KiMnRoB said...

Ha ha ha ha!
I can just see Jeremy's face as he smells the goodness of a Khatai cookie! "What are you cooking? Dog poop?"
I'm excited to see them! (because if they smell bad, I won't be trying them)
JK- I'll try them.... maybe

Shanda&Corey said...

I'm disappointed that I can't make it tonight to taste those crazy cookies!! You will have to let me know how they went over!!

Angie*Steve*Owen said...

i'll be there and willing to try your cookies

Erin said...

I just finished the Kite Runner and I didn't even know you were doing it for Book Club. Hope the meeting went well--even with stinky cookies. Can't say I have ever tried cardamon. What did you think of the book?

Lorina said...

Hello fellow Utahan. I just found your blog and had to comment.

I love the Grocery Shopping "Me time", its sad but true. Sometimes I end up taking more time comparing diapers and baby food. I'm terrible, I know.