Friday, February 8, 2008

Letter for JJ

Dear JJ,

This week marked 18 months since your birth. I can't believe that you are so young. You seem to have a wisdom beyond your years. This month we realized that you are a great communicator. You love to talk and have started to state your mind freely (and frequently). No means both no and yes to you, but we are starting to differentiate between the two. This makes you happy. When you say something that we understand, your eyes light up with a quick little sparkle that seems to say "connection!" It's adorable as is most of the htings you do.

If there is mischeif to make, you will find it. You love to explore my cupbaords and all the magic that unfold therein. The minute you see someone coming, you begin to unload the drawer faster and faster as if to maximize your destruction. Despite my continual efforts to clean up after you, I actually find it amusing and I love that you are so inquisitive.

You are so full of love for people. We have seen this in your nature from birth. This attitude manifests itself in your new jokes and words. You constantly tell us knock knock jokes. Your jokes, however, have no punch line... just "knock knock" over and over again, with the occasional "JJ" response to our "who's there?" You also greet EVERYONE with "hi," in the supermarket you are a constant stream of "hi, hi, hi," to people we pass. Of course, most people just lap it up and remark on your cuteness. At Little Gym most of the kids can call your name as you ahve made quick friends with them. I don't sense much shyness and you will give kids hugs and moms smiles freely. This, of course, helps with your popularity.

Although I have heard that parent favoritism can ebb and flow, your unashamed adoration for all things "daddy" continue. Several times throughout the day you "knock knock" at the garage door and say "daddy." You light up when he is around, and he does for you too. It warms my heart to see the two of you playing or coming to give me hugs. My two boys.

You have a new found love of animals. This is new to me, as I have never been much of one. Our neighbor's dog had puppies and we go over to see them regularly. You just love to gather all six of them around you giving them hugs and kisses. You even cxrawled into their cage to play with them. It was cute and now I get asked every day to see the puppies... every time we pull into a place you don't know it is either "costco (which you love) or puppies!" I have taken you to Petco to explore other animals such as turtles, snakes, and fish. You like the animal, but got really excited when you saw a large rat and called it a "PUPPY!"

The funniest story for this month (that I can remember now) was just this week on voting day. I have been eager to instill in you some seed for activism and a love of democracy. In my efforts, I dragged in with me to vote in the presidential primary. As soon as we pulled up you said "puppies!" when I said no, you said "vote?" Yes, JJ we are here to vote for Mitt! To which you quickly respnded "vote! Mitt!" energitcially and emphatically for the next couple of hours. It even replaced your "hi's" in the grocery store. You looked like a littel campaign manager with your "I voted today" sticker, shouting your (well, my) polotical hopes. A lot of good that did us on a national level, but i have no doubt he certainly helped Mitt to win our state at around 90%.

JJ you continue to keep us on our toes and teach us love. Your big blue eyes and your kisses keep me going some days. I rad a quote at Grandma Tomsick's house yesterday that said "the handprints get taller and taller until one day they disappear." It struck me particularly because I had been fussing around the house trying to clean up your handprints just that day. I want to stop time from passing, but I know that I can't. We are so proud of you and we love you.

Love,
Mom

11 comments:

KiMnRoB said...

That was your best letter yet.
It made me cry Rach! Love that little man, and yes, I wish I could stop time sometimes so that he will stay little forever.
You and Jeremy are wonderful parents and it radiates through JJ.

LindsSawyer said...

Rach,
Great letter. He is a lucky boy! I love talking to you as a non-mom about your perspective on the challenges of motherhood. It seems from this letter and the others the personal growth you've experienced through raising JJ is pretty remarkable. Nice post!

thekirnancrib said...

ohh the "vote!" is too cute...

linds said...

Such a sweet boy! Happy 18 months! I can't wait until JJ gets his first puppy, you know you're going to have to give in ;)

Gustogirl said...

Be strong, Be strong. Just think of puppy poop all over the place!! I love what you said about the knock knock jokes. Joel does the very same thing!!

Gustogirl said...

BTW, awesome header!! I love it!!

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

The tears are streaming freely. I seriously feel the almost sickness in my stomach as I think about how much I would love to stop the hands of time. I wish someone would have told me how hard it is to let them grow...and how it is the most precious thing in life at the same time. I love those sweet letters and I can feel your sincere love for that boy in every word. I too am a mother who just can't get enough of that sweet baby boy love!

shauna said...

JJ is going to treasure these letters, Rachel! I hope you're keeping them in a binder or something. What a sweety!

Grant & Kami said...

That was a tear jerking letter. I loved it. I too find myself wishing that the hands of time would stop so that I could have Addi stay the way that she is. But with each new stage in life comes new joy. You and Jeremy are such loving and carring parents and you can see that JJ is a very blessed little boy. You are the greatest.

pinkmorning said...

haha, calling the rat a puppy, how adorable...dave thinks that we will end up one day with a dog too, but i am going to try my best to stay strong...

MamaGeek said...

This was beautiful Rachel. He sounds like such a fun, happy little boy. And wow, he talks a lot for 18 months?

What a lucky little boy to have you for his Mom!