Thursday, January 10, 2008

Throwing it Back


This week would have been my Dad's 60th birthday and to celebrate I spent the day with my Grammie (his mom) where we shared tears, memories, laughs, and .. of course... Birthday cake. In honor of the man.. here are a couple of pictures of what I remember from my short time with him before his death.

From left to right: Rachel (moi), Melissa, Laura, Eliot and Julie (with mom up top). Here we are in our Easter finest in fron tof Aunt Rosemary's. I remember we always wore hats with our Easter dresses.

Here is the house we live in when I was born. I loved playing freeze tag on the front lawn, or shagging tennis balls for my brother and sister when the got in the ledge that you can't see here right above the garage. That is the station wagon where we would paly "going to California."

This last picture is us at the zoo. I don't have a ton of memories of my Dad before he died, but I love this picture because he was holding me.

Dig out your pictures and take a trip down memory lane. It has been so much fun for me this week to remember and honor my dad and his wonderful life. He touched so many people and was so full of laughter. We lost him too soon and I mourn the time might have spent.

13 comments:

Gustogirl said...

I love these pictures! I was going to post about dad's wouldbe 60th birthday, but I just didn't want to get too sad. I vividly remember all the things you talked about, but I don't remember this zoo trip, so it is fun to see the pictures!

McGrigor said...

I apologize if this comment came up twice. I've been having some technical difficulties. This was a lovely post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your dad. Such beautiful pictures and fond memories. I always enjoy a trip down memory lane - even if it's down someone else's path. Families are a true blessing.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

What special pictures and special memories. It was wonderful to read and see your memories with your dad. I am so sorry you lost him so early in your life.

You were all so cute! I love Julie's pose in the Easter picture. What sass! :)

Jane, Pinks & Blues

pinkmorning said...

i'm so glad you like the pictures. i have always treasured them, even though there aren't many...you are darling...

Natalie said...

I'd never actually seen a picture of your dad before. I'm glad you posted it!

MamaGeek said...

I'm so sorry about your Dad Rachel- I can't imagine how hard that must have been and continues to be, but those are truly amazing memories and photos.

And you were so cute!

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

What a great thing pictures are. I am so thankful everyday for pictures because they spark my horrible memory.

By the way, running has been really hard, but I am sticking to it!

linds said...

I love seeing all your old photo's. This was a really touching post about your Dad. Thanks for sharing it!

I wish him a happy birthday too!

Beanie said...

Sweet daughter,
I love these pictures. I remember well getting Easter hats for everybody that year. I always wanted to do it because I think I grew up singing the song, "In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it, you'll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade." We are all quite beautiful n'est-ce pas?

LindsSawyer said...

Rach,
Love these pics, never seen one of your dad before. This weekend was great!

Toni said...

What a lovely tribute. It is so good you have these pics to remember him by.

KiMnRoB said...

This was truly a grand post. A very sweet tribute to your father.
It is great to see pictures of you when you were so little, makes you realize more and more where JJ gets his looks from!
I'm sorry you never got the chance to know your father.
This post was a reminder to me that life is so short and that we all need to live life as if there there were no tomorrow.
Thank you for this post.

On a lighter note- SOOOOOO excited for Cancun too!

Brittany said...

Thanks so much for sharing this post it was so touching and a beautiful tribute to your Dad. I will definetly take a trip down memory lane, hope all is well with you and your family.