Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sistas.


I'm going to just come right out and say it: I LOVE MY SISTERS.

Nowhere is there a more analytical, attractive, funny, and thoughtful group of women, I am sure of it. I love my brothers too, but sisterhood is a unique bond that cannot quite be described.

The other day I watched "Practical Magic," and although the plot is miserable and the actors are somewhat cheesy, the theme of love and sisterly bonds really struck a chord in me. These two women grew up together (the actors are Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock) and stuck together threw thick and thin. I found myself bawling by the end of the show and wanting my sisters to feel how I felt at that moment.


I treasure the memories I have of our dance parties while singing into wooden spoons. I remember talking about boys and sharing our secrets. I have three older sisters who I have always strived to emulate and two younger who are so fun to be around and laugh with. Although most of us live miles apart, they continue to be some of my most trusted "therapists" and friends. I talk to some of them daily.


From a more scientific standpoint, my brother (who I adore as well) posted about siblings on his blog and described them as "Partners for Life." He linked to an article that described siblings as one of the most important forces that shape us. Without quoting the WHOLE article, it goes on to say that from the genisis of life our siblings are our "collaborators, co-conspirators, role models, and cautionary tales."


I just wish that we were all more geographically close. We have planned a sisters weekend in Virginia in May and I am really looking forward to singing, lip syncing, pedicuring, and talking with all of them. My little sister, Mariah will be attending BYU in the fall and Laura has plans to relocate here as well. ... so things are looking up!


I love all of you guys so much! I am greatful for the lessons learned and the memories we will make in the future.


9 comments:

pinkmorning said...

oh, i love my sisters too. i am so excited for our VA trip too, it will be so much fun. i hope you are having a good weekend.

thekirnancrib said...

what a sweet post! sisters are the best, it's a bond like no other. I sure am grateful to have gotten to know you AND some of your awesome sisters ;)

Gustogirl said...

Sisters are fab! I am lucky to have such great ones! I am excited for our sister's weekend in May too! It will be great!

shauna said...

Awww, what a great post (you make me miss my own sisters!). And what a great tribute to your fabulous sisters!

LindsSawyer said...

Nice post. There is something about that bond that is different than any relationship in the world. Nice read.

Mariah "Sniggles" Proctor said...

I was already psyched for you guys to come out here and nows it's increased like ten fold! BAH!

girlymom said...

Is there anything better than having a bunch of sisters? I miss mine- but we have a Florida trip planned for this spring. I find it a hard challenge to stay up to date with their everyday lives as they do with mine- one big reason I started a blog. You all look very happy in the picture- what a fun bunch!

It was nice to meet you- thank you for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading more about you, your family and your sisters! :)

Beanie said...

Sweet daughters, The nicest thing you can do for your children is give them siblings. That is not the way today as ease and comfort rule instead of the real, but joyful sacrifice that is bringing someone into the world. I'm glad you love each other. I love you all. Mom

MamaGeek said...

Wow, what an awesome post and tribute Rachel. You are all one good-looking (HOTT) bunch of girls! I only have one sister, who sadly, lives too far away... :(