Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Notes from a Non-Runner #1

I have always hated running. Once when Jeremy and I were dating we trie dto go on a run... one block in I said "this stinks," turned on my heel and walked home. Such is my relationship with the "sport."

For some odd reason the past couple weeks I have gotten it in my head that running is something I should take up. I have scoured websites dedicated to helping beginners learn to run and train themselves for marathons. I have deliberated, contemplated, and analyzed, but had yet to actually get on the move, until today.

Admittedly, I was a bit shy going to the treadmill section of the gym. I had seen people go there and come out okay, but I was a little apprehensive as to my chances of survival. I had NEVER been on a treadmill before. Sure, I have frequented spin classes, trained on the elliptical and even ran when I played basketball almost ten years ago in High school.. but this? This was new territory. So I got on and ran... I was pretty slow, but I really wanted to go 2 miles without stopping. What do ya know?? It turned out okay.

Although I have only done it once, I can totally see why people enjoy this form of exercise. So I have enlisted the help of my oh-so-competent pal Linds at the Daily Knack and she is going to help me train for a half marathon in August... Seems like quite the leap from one running session, but I think if I have a goal I can work towards it... so here's to starting something new!

Help me keep going by chekcing up with m y progress. I am starting with two miles for two weeks then I will add a mile every two weeks or so.

Fingers crossed.

16 comments:

linds said...

I am so excited! Once you get past the first mile there is not turning back!

linds said...

man something is wrong with my typing fingers lately.

it was supposed to say there is NO turning back!

Gustogirl said...

Nice, look at you!! Sounds like a great, fun, healthy goal!

shauna said...

You go, girl! Keep us posted. I have just been trying to get my butt in gear doing ANY kind of exercise.

thekirnancrib said...

yay!! I never thought I could run, and I'm still not a great runner, but I finally got up to 4 miles... I especially love running outside in the summer.... the treadmill and I are not really friends :) So proud of you!!

Spammon said...

Running sucks. Give it up.

Ok, I kid, don't give it up, but it really does suck. I don't mind running if I know I don't have to run back to where I started from. When I ran the half marathon's with Linds it was a hell of alot easier than running 3 blocks away from my house. Go figure. The mental thought that I have to go right back to where I started from really cheeses me off.

Erin said...

Yay for you! That totally sounds like a do-able goal. Now give me some of your motivation!!

KiMnRoB said...

Proud of you for setting this goal! I think running is so intimidating!
I'm like Ammon- I hate knowing I have to turn back and GO BACK to where I started. So mundane!
But good for you for taking this up! Everytime I run on the treadmill (which is close to nil) I always get the best workouts!

WorksForMom said...

WOO HOO Yay for you. My husband is training for a half marathon too. You totally can do it, just let your body adjust s-l-o-w-l-y.

And next year this time you'll be prepping for the Boston marathon.

Me - I walk. I'm way too lazy for running. Shhhh, I SUCK.

LindsSawyer said...

Rachel,

I actually like to run and have wanted to do a half marathon. Good luck with this! Get some good tunes on the IPod and that 20 minutes on the treadmill goes pretty fast. GOOD LUCK!

Maxfield Family said...

Rachel, check out this website, it's a great one for running!
http://www.walkjogrun.net/

Good luck! I don't know how to find time to run these days, unless I drag the kid, then it seems like we are always turning around because someone is hungry!

Toni said...

Good for you. I hope some of this motivation rubs off on ME!

Nap Warden said...

You go girl!!! I'm a marathoner myself, every race starts with one step!

Angie said...

That's what I love about running. You can start out small and then before you know it you can run miles without hardly breaking a sweat. I have to say that running outside is so much better than a treadmill, but I guess with winter in Utah you do what you can. Good luck!

MomOf3 said...

I really admire this! Good luck with it and keep us updated!! :)

Beanie said...

This will be great fun. Nothing like jumping in whole hog--from one day on the treadmill to a half-marathon in August.