Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Favorite Christmas tree

Everyone probably has that one special Christmas deocration that you loved as a child. For me, it was my mom's beautiful ceramic Chritmas tree with little plastic bulbs that lit up from within. My aunt Rosemary and Nana had the same ones. For some reason, I remember this as distinctly as almost anything from my childhood home during the holidays. I loved to arrange and rearrange th little bulbs. It sat proudly on a countertop and just oozed the holiday spirit. When we lost our beloved Nana earlier this year we were each able to choose something from her home to keep as a rememrance. I was fortunate enough to receive this tree and have been so excited to put it out for the holidays. It is so nice and I don't think they really make things like this anymore... at least in my price range. I am happy to have this fun memory in my home and hopefully my kids will remember it too.

Honestly though, it is hard to comprehend that I will have any nice things/decorations once JJ is through with us. I have already lost practically all of my glass ornaments and he broke the head off of two of my Willow tree angels on the tree. I don't even want to talk about the stitching involved in repairing my stockings! Thank goodness for super glue and needle and thread. I have to give him a break. He is only 15 months old and the newness and excitement of it all just beckons him like a moth to a flame. and of course.. he is worth it.

Look at the expression his face. I think he can't even stop himself. But how could be mad at that??His new favorite thing is "tunneling." He enjoys finding the smallest space possible and then working his way though. That is right.. we have effectively doubled his chances of getting into trouble by just putting our tree up. But I LOVE Christmas and especially Christmas decorations.

12 comments:

linds said...

Your cermaic Christmas tree is so cute! Think how awesome that you get to hand it down to your kids.

Your tree looks great! JJ and Porter sound a lot a like. Our tree has been re-decorated about 20 times and Porter keeps throwing the ornaments like they were soccer balls. Oh well!

thekirnancrib said...

he is too sweet. I wish I had a 15 month old wreaking havoc on my tree instead of 2 psycho cats!! grrr....

Pinks and Blues said...

I have a ceramic tree that looks just like that!! My Grandma gave it to me and I try and display it every year in a very special spot!!
- Audrey
Pinks & BLues
www.pinksandblues.com
p.s. - Drop by our blog...someone's pregnant, can you guess who???

WorksForMom said...

Oh my we had that same ceramic tree, what a classic! And that little cutie appears to be wreaking havoc as bad as my 15 month old. I'm always chasing after something!

Erin said...

That is so great that you got to keep something that means so much to you. And now to share that meaning with your son. (my post does not refer to you--I don't want to offend.)

Spammon said...

Hey my Grandma had that exact same tree! I remember rearanging all those bulbs every time I went over.

I just wish I could stop Porter from thinking the ornaments are balls and throwing them across the room. He's already broken some.

Toni said...

My grandma had that same tree, too. Oh, the memories! When I got my first apartment, my mom bought one of those for me at a garage sale and it just said Christmas to me, as it does you. Thanks for the reminder...

Maxfield Family said...

Oh my gosh, JJ is so cute. I love his little Mr. Innocent face. I love it love it love it!

I happened upon your sister Julie's blog through yours. Tell her congratulations on the baby! If she needs morning sickness tips, I've got lots of them. I was sick pretty much my entire pregnancy.

pinkmorning said...

haha, the destructor...what a cutie!

shauna said...

Zack is three and he's still breaking all my ornaments (sorry, hope that doesn't discourage you). But my philosophy is--I want my kids to have a touchable Christmas, not a don't-touch-the-tree Christmas. And he hasn't broken anything near and dear to my heart yet. JJ will have lots of great Christmas memories and that's the most important thing!

Angie said...

When I pulled out our Christmas decorations it put a smile on my face to see the ceramic plate (Cookies for Santa)you gave me last year. It is a great addition to our festive fare. Thank you for being so thoughtful!

Beanie said...

When my brothers and sisters were small, before I was born, they were playing tag one night when my parents were gone and bumped into the Christmas tree. The entire tree fell over, breaking most of the precious glass ornaments. Abashed and scared, they got the tree back up and then carefully turned all the glass bulbs so the broken pieces faced the tree. My parents didn't discover it until Mom found a piece of broken glass in the carpet. Children have been breaking ornaments for many generations.