Sunday, December 2, 2007

December's not so Bad.

Yesterday, we woke up to snow flurries and frosted windows. Usually the first snowfall is exciting to me, but for some reason today was not the "usual." Winter was upon us in full force and while our household was happy that it took until December 1 to get a real taste of the season, the impending doom of icy cold months to come left us feeling a little sour.

We got to have a child free date night last night and as we drove home with the cuffs of our jeans slushy and wet from treading our way through the parking lot, we tried to look at the bright side. I looked around and felt all fuzzy thinking about what the snow generally means to me. I love gas station hot chocolate. Loaded with sugar and empty calories, this is my biggest weakness. Then, I mentioned to Jeremy (whose wintry whoas far surpass mine this time of year) how beautiful the trees look when their leafless branches are burdened with the sparkling snow. This morning with the sunshine bouncing off the bleached white ground, the brightness of it all has all has made me downright cheery. So, I thought I would share one other of my little December pleasures: Made for TV Christmas movies. Each year, I happily set my DVR to record every ABC family, Hallmark Channel and even Lifetime movie I can see in the guide. Somehow watching the painfully recycled plot lines of has been actors learning the "true meaning of Christmas" helps me to find my Christmas Spirit too.This year with the writer's strike in full force these movies will come in especially handy on the way-too-early-to-be-dark nights. I can't wait to see Shannon Doherty in "Christmas Caper," and no name actors in "Single Santa seeks Mrs. Clause" (currently waiting on my DVR), does anyone remember when Kathy Ireland played Santa Clause in the Lifetime movie? LOVED IT! So cheesy, I know, but that is why it is a guilty pleasure. Am I crazy, or does everyone secretly love these movies too.?
** Thanks to Erin and Life in the Nuthouse for letting me use her photo.
**Also be sure to check out Lindsey's 12 Days of Christmas Contest.

15 comments:

linds said...

You are so right, December isn't so bad. Even though I hate the 19 degree weather, I love the snow!

However, I need some of your Christmas cheer... is hasn't hit me yet!

Thanks for the publicity! :)

Erin said...

I love how the trees look right when they get covered with snow. But then, they get too full and chunks fall off and it's not so pretty anymore. I am from California and I hate shoes!!! So snow is not my best friend to say the least. But the kids love it so I have to deal with it. It's a good picture, huh?

thekirnancrib said...

we got our first "real" snow yesterday, too! we got more this morning, and it was so nice to see the blanket outside my window this morning. however, the nice feeling quickly faded when a)we were late to church because we were stuck in the snow b)my toes seriously froze walking in the slushy parking lots in my ballet flats (duh!!) c)we tried to maneuver the streets of rochester and the city seemingly forgot what winters are like here since there was like 6 inches of snow in the street at 10 am and d)Ryan and I spent 2 hours shoveling heavy snow off our driveway 0(which is only like 60 feet long) this afternoon... needless to say, I am done with winter already, and I have 5 more months of it coming towards me... AHHH!!! hehe. I shoulda written a post, oh well, you got one written just for you. :)

pinkmorning said...

haha, i did not end up going to our family party yesterday because i was feeling so lousy, so what did i do, stayed in bed and watched "single santa seeks mrs. claus" with steve guttenberg and "a carol christmas" with tori spelling...so lame and yet i finished them. glad you had fun on your date. it was fun spending time with you this weekend.

lys said...

You have such a positive attitude about everything. I always leave your blog feeling a little happier! :)

lys said...

You have such a positive attitude about everything. I always leave your blog feeling a little happier! :)

lys said...

I meant that so sincerely I had to say it twice. Oops. ;)

LindsSawyer said...

Sage is not too happy about the snow either. He was just telling me its time to move to a warmer climate where he can find himself on the golf course all year long....Too bad! It doesn't get prettier than the snowdusted pine trees and the stillness the fresh snow creates in the darkness... I love it in December but woe it in February...Welcome Winter wonderland!

LikeAstaR said...

Erin-- It is a perfect picture for what I was admiring last night! Thanks.

Jules-- God made us sisters... mutual love of all that is cheesy made us friends.

lys-- I am glad that I have you fooled! :)

WorksForMom said...

NOT CHEESY AT ALL my friend. I'm so with you and take in all the holiday movies I can. Those shots are AMAZING by the way!!

Gustogirl said...

Um, maybe Utah isn't such a great idea! I have been lamenting the weather here and it is still in the 30's. Maybe I am crazy to want to move someplace colder and snowier! It is fun to get into the mood of Christmas though!

Gustogirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jayna & Family said...

You made me laugh out loud- "has been actors learning the true meaning of christmas" ...hilariously right on. If we were in this century and had tivo, I'd have these on my list as well! :)

KiMnRoB said...

You were SO right on in your description of wet pants.
I hate wet pants!
That is the worst part about snow.
I love that you love the made for TV Christmas shows. I wish I shared the passion but this is coming from someone who has her DVR set to Forensic Files. But I guess a made for TV x-mas show could fulfill my morbid curiosity too? ;)

shauna said...

We've been having fun watching all those great Christmas programs: Charlie Brown's Christmas, The Night Before Christmas (tonight), Rudolf and the Island of Misfit Toys, etc. It's been fun to watch my kids associate these fun shows with Christmas.