Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanks.

Yesterday I was in charge of Sharing time for the kids in our ward and as part of it, I prepared a little game all about our blessings. We passed a ball around and using the letters of the alphabet said something we were grateful for. Air, Babies, Church, Dogs... etc. It was so fun to hear all about what the kids thought of when they thought of their blessings. It quickly became clear that I am really pretty selfish. I seem to dwell on obtaining more and more without too much thought as to what I have already been given. I am surrounded in abundance. I am blessed with a husband with both the ability and the ambition to provide, I have a heated home and food in my child's mouth. From the very basic to the particularly matrerialistic I have been blessed and I am very grateful for that.

There is something about the holiday season that softens the heart. It is truly incredible.

11 comments:

the daily knack said...

You are exactly right! The holiday season does soften hearts... now what do to about the rest of the year. I honestly feel like I have so much and that I am so blessed, it is hard to believe I can forget about that!

pinkmorning said...

thank you for your post, i have been searching myself lately too, about counting my blessings instead of feeling bad about what i don't have. i love you!

thekirnancrib said...

so true. :)

Andrew, Cas and Stockton said...

Hey Rach...your Thanksgiving looked awesome. Way to go on being so domestic!!! I am glad you enjoyed the holiday!! Yeah for Christmas time now!

pinks & blues girls said...

You are so right! There's nothing like children to ground you sometimes. This is always the time of year we all realize everything we should be grateful for.

Jane, Pinks & Blues

WorksForMom said...

This was oh so sweet and oh so true. It's the little things, isn't it?

shauna said...

That's why I think Thanksgiving is such an important holiday--it really helps me to stop and realize just how blessed I am (and thanks for the sharing time idea...).

The UnMighty said...

It that food still in your child's mouth?

Brittany said...

Kid's are so innocent and it is the little things that matter, thanks for sharing. Hey, does this mean you are in the primary pres? ha..ha..ha!

Angie said...

I always like being in Primary because it helps me remember what is important - plain and simple. It seems like Christmas has become more focused on the things we DON'T have and the things WE want. Too much materialism. It is good to focus on what we do have. Sometimes easier said than done.

LindsSawyer said...

Rach,
Nice post. I am with you on the selfishness...We rarely go without but continue to want for more. This is not a very fulfilling way to live...Its nice to gain a new perspective even if it only happens once a year....I would like to try and maintain this feeling for the whole year!