Tuesday, November 13, 2007

If I had a Million Dollars..

I learned to play the piano when I was young. I took years and years of it. Despite my consistent efforts in hounding, my mother would not let me quit. I watched each of my family members drop lessons from their respective schedules while I was forced to stick with it. Rest assured that my heart felt this was an unfairness beyond limits (growing up in a huge family one spends a lot of time judging their lot against the lot of the siblings... pathetic, I know). However, I was so happy that I could play. Our home was always full of music whether it was singing, piano, or guitar music. When I went to college I spent a lot of time in the music rooms or our apartment complex's foyer just playing and honing that skill. Was I Beethoven? No. But I could play his songs from an easy version. You know, I was THAT type of player. I enjoyed practicing then and I found it restful.

Sadly, playing the piano is not the kind of thing you retain for years. Last week I sat down at my in-law's piano to play some Sunday sounds of my own. I struggled for every note. Frustrated, I sat there for a good half an hour just trying to pick this old talent and dust it off. So, I now know that I need to buy a piano and practice it. Unlike my childhood self, I would enjoy it and probably find it stress relieving. I would also love to have JJ take lessons to pass on the sadistic tendencies of my mother.

And so the hunt began. Knowing that I don't have $5000 to allocate towards this purchase, I have been searching for a nice, well-cared for, used piano. You know, something like this...






So far, all I have found in my price range are pianos like this...


I actually put my desk up for sale to raise part of the money. Now, I have had several calls on the desk, but I still haven't found a decent piano. I am stumped as to whether I should sell the desk (we bought it used just about a year ago, and I can break even), and hold on to the money for the right piano, or if I should nix the plan until I can just get a new instrument. I really love our desk, but I really would love a piano too. Here is my desk that I love....



Any thoughts?

7 comments:

the daily knack said...

Hey Rach! I wish I knew how to play the piano. You are lucky you know how! Having a piano would be awesome and it would be really nice in that room... you could even give me lessons :).

I wish I could offer you advice on buying a piano, but I know nothing about them. I will say this... your office furniture is gorgeous and I love that room! We just moved our office upstairs to make it easier and to keep our laptops off the kitchen table. That might be something to take into consideration... and I am serious about those piano lessons!

Beanie said...

Funny how hard is to convey to a child how very glad they will be if they learn to do certain things like playing the piano during those golden years when they have both time and someone willing to pay for their lessons. At the same time, I always feel that now when you feel real joy to polish some skills is also golden. I am often called on to accompany the hymns at church and as long as we are in the familiar green book, I am not too terrified!
Used pianos are great, if you find the right one. Our baby grand was a used piano built early in the twentieth century in Baltimore. When we moved to Virginia, we were, in fact, bringing it home. Do you want money toward your piano for Christmas?

LikeAstaR said...

Mom.. I would love money towards a piano.. I think the best option for me is to just sock a little money aside here and there until I have enough to buy it.

thekirnancrib said...

I feel you... I played the flute for years, and it's so disappointing when I try to play now, I'm so rusty. Have you checked craigslist and the newspaper? You never know what people might be offering, especially this time of year ;)

shauna said...

I took lessons for about 5 years and never picked it up (boy, I was a stubborn child). My grandmother had a baby-grand though and I sure wished I knew how to play when I visited her! The desk is pretty too, but I hope you're able to raise money for the piano. Good luck!

pinkmorning said...

it is amazing how much you do lose it, in seattle i practiced a lot because often i was the only one who had any ability at all and had to accompany big groups of people(especially in district and zone meetings) i am with mom, as long as it is in the green book, i am not too terrified.

LindsSawyer said...

Rachel,
Have Jeremy trim back the golf budget for one month and you could be talkin Steinway. You need a piano, music is one of your many passions. Get the piano keep the desk.