Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Have you been BITTEN?

Has anyone shopped Steve and Barry's? The idea is such an intriguing one. The store's concept is to sell high-quality, very inexpensive clothing for the masses. Usually, in Utah, we have to wait for cool stores and restaurants to open here(unless they are the brainchild of some enterprising Utahn themselves i.e. Cafe Rio, Apollo Burger, Shade Clothing).

Anyway, I have been a bit under the weather, and while catching up with my tivo after the holiday season, I realized the new season of Project Runway has commenced. On the second episode, Sarah Jessica Parker guests to promote her new "bitten" line at Steve and Barry's stores. The entire collection retails for less than $20. Jeans are ten dollars, pea coats are $15... and so on. I have heard the radio ads for her line so when I saw her on the show I was pretty excited. I actually really like SJP. I have since Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

In case you don't remember, Steve and Barry's is the store that debuted the "Starbury," which we read about only in newspapers here. These are Stephan Marbury's basketball shoes that claim to be as good as Jordan's, but sell for $15. The S&B website attributes it's ability to sell clothing for so cheap by saying that they have changed the way they do business. They even site the way the buy paper clips. I am excited about the idea, and can't wait to venture all the way to Murray to check it out.. (That is right girls our store opened earlier this month). We shall see if they are as great as they sound. I only hope the great prices don't come from their amazing ability to exploit children in sweatshops...

Has anyone shopped this store yet?? What did you think?

12 comments:

the daily knack said...

I read about their store back in August in a "Instyle" mag. I also browsed their website. But I can't buy stuff online, it never works out right.

I didn't know there was already a store here! woo hoo!

the daily knack said...

p.s. Girls Just Want to Have Fun, still gets played at my house all the time!

Angie said...

I just checked and we do have a Steven and Barry's here in San Diego. I am not familiar with the store, however, the SJP line sounds very cool and cost effective. I will definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Utah definitely seems to be on the up and up.

Anonymous said...

When are we going?

Rob

LindsSawyer said...

Rach,
I am sorry to disapoint you but the Steve & Berrys in Holliday is not nearly as good as those on the East Coast. The SJP line Bitten from which I have a few items...is very limited compared to the other store on the ECoast. I was not impressed by the women's selection however the baby stuff was cute...Save your $$$ for our trip to Boston...:)

Gustogirl said...

I have heard about it here and there, but haven't looked into it too much. I will have to see if there is one up here that I can go and check out!

megan&steve said...

UM... I work in Murray/ Holladay where is this store? was there a link on your blog I missed? If they have boys clothes I'm totally in. We should go.

WorksForMom said...

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this. We just got this store in our area about 4 months ago but haven't visited it yet. I have 2 friends who love it and 1 friend who said it was 'alright'. I have to check. it. out!

shauna said...

I love this concept. I'm a Project Runway fan but haven't been able to watch every episode yet (although I saw a bit about SJP and Bitten). I'm excited to hear about her prices--makes me like her even more (LOVED Girls Just Want to Have Fun).

Toni said...

LOVE Project Runway!

Natalie said...

Apparently we have one that just opened this month. Good to know! I'll check it out either today or tomorrow when I'm down that way. Thanks for the heads up!

spammon said...

What's wrong with sweat shops? Those kids gotta put food on their table too!