Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Gratitude Attitude.

I know, I know.. Christmas is the big one... The holiday that everyone starts preparing for months in advance. I can guarantee that my sister has finished her Christmas Shopping, and the stores holiday displays have been out so long that some things have already been clearanced. However, for me, for now, Thanksgiving is on my mind. I am not kidding when I say two nights ago visions of turkeys were dancing in my head and I couldn't sleep for excitement about our country's glory of gluttony. When rest finally overcame me I dreamed of grocery shopping and cooking. AND I secretly loved it. I know what you are thinking.. this is one grateful girl. She starts being thankful weeks in advance! Sadly, this is not the case. Rather, my life has become so mundane that I need these little celebrations to make it through the day.

This year I am hosting my first Thanksgiving dinner. With many members of our family out of state, we will have a rather small gathering, but I am so excited to play hostess to those who will be traveling to our home for the holiday. Anyone who reads this blog or knows me (really you encompass the same group), knows that I desperately want to be Martha Stewart (without the personality or rap sheet). Although my aspirations fall embarrassingly short of par, my dream is ceaseless and I try vigorously at every opportunity to display my homemaking abilities (if you can call them that). My hope is that Thanksgiving will be a memorable, magical dinner that folks will be talking about for years. Most likely it will just be turkey and pie at that one girl's house.

Anyway, I found some cool ideas and yummy recipes at my favorite resource, MarthaStewart.com and thought I would pass them along to any other wannabes within reach of this blog. Enjoy! I will say that I HAVE had some creative ideas of my own, but I will share pictures after the party. They won't be anything special, so don't get excited.

**Don't forget to VOTE for JJ! Thanks for everyone's votes so far!

11 comments:

KiMnRoB said...

Alright, enough of this "Martha Stewart" talk...
You do look in the mirror every morning don't you?
Rachel Tomsick
The girl who makes dinner every night (good dinner might I add)
Sews homemade football costumes
Can paint a decorative wall like no ones business
Knits friggin baby booties
And has hand sewn curtains and rugs for her home.
Uh yeah
I think Thanksgiving will be a sinch for you.
Martha Who?

the daily knack said...

yeah I second what Kim said! you got it in the bag.

pinkmorning said...

your post made me hungry...like my tummy just growled loud enough for our neighbors down the street to hear...and i am salivating. i am grateful for your cooking abilities.

thekirnancrib said...

you are so cute. martha does rock (despite the whole jail thing), I start shaking with excitement just reading her magazines... ha!

MomOf3 said...

Thank you for stopping by my site! Yours is great! I love all of the Martha Stewart stuff too - I only wish I had the time/creativity to pull it off! You do have me dreaming of baking pies though! :)

Beanie said...

Sweetheart,
Move over Martha. She's got some stiff competition in Rachel. I am wishing so much to be there with you to see you host your first turkey day. Last night we ground our wheat, used powdered milk and made great bread. And, of course, I voted for JJ.

KiMnRoB said...

Yes, I also voted for Mr. Monkey Man himself.
FYI-
You've been tagged. Check out my blog for the dets.

huckdoll said...

Hey, I want to be Martha, too. I thought I was the only one. Proclaiming my love for Martha is usually met with mnay laughs and eye rolls.

Great site. Nice pumpkin background, too. Very seasonal!

WorksForMom said...

You're post made me hungry too. I so get that holidays are something to dress up the mundane everyday.

shauna said...

I already voted for JJ, but if there's a place I can vote for you, I'll do it (I think you'd beat Martha any day of the week --with or without the pinecone turkey place settings!). :)

Gustogirl said...

Thanksgiving is going to be so much fun. I pity the "suckas" who will miss out! Actually I wish more of the family could be gathering, that was my tough attitude to try to cope, hahaha.