Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Good Things Come to Those...

Since I was young I have heard the phrase "Good things come to those who wait." But now that I am older, I understand that only in some instances is this the case. For example, those who procrastinate (procrastination="waiting") don't always get the proverbial "good thing" at the end of that rainbow; such was the case last Spring when we held out for a better deal on airline tickets to Florida, only to pay almost double what we would have had we not waited. Then, there are those who wait only to have the same reward as those who came early and didn't wait. For these reasons, among others, I am not a great waiter. You could say that patience is not one of my virtues. I like to get what I want and see the immediate fruits of my labor. I love to vacuum and see a clean floor. I much rather clean a pig sty then do regular maintenance because you can see how much you have done. (too bad I don't like to WAIT for the mess to build up!) And 9 months of pregnancy almost did me in... waiting for my baby to arrive.






Today, however, I am convincing myself of this proverb because we planted our first bulbs in the yard. Every Spring we drive around and I promise myself that come October, I will plant some in my yard. I LOVE tulips and allium and all sort of Bulb plants. However.. being the impatient gal that I am, I never follow through because who wants to wait all Winter to see the fruits of their labor? (besides EVERYONE who plants bulbs... of course). So, anyway, today JJ and I set out to beautify our yard together and it was so fun to have him help me play in the dirt.



So here is to my Good Things! I hope that in this case, come Spring, my tulips will be worth the wait!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow...you really don't like waiting...you must have commented on my post at almost the same moment that I push the post button.
I would say that I have to agree with you on the waiting thing though. I may be a procrastinator but I hate it. You are so right on about procrastination just being a fancy form of waiting.
I can't wait (no pun intended)for spring to see the pictures of the hard work you put in. I love bulbs I think they are like little presents.

thekirnancrib said...

wow... if this wasn't what I needed to hear today then I don't know what is....

Gustogirl said...

Come Spring, those tulips will looke so great!

the daily knack said...

I am also one of those people who have to have what I want when I want it!

lys said...

Maybe you should plant some impatiens. . .


Ha, ha, ha!!!

shauna said...

I love tulips too! And I know what you mean about waiting (although I have been too good about waiting for mess to build up in my house lately...)