Monday, October 1, 2007

Fall

I woke up this morning with my body warm and my head just the slightest bit chilly and thought to myself, "I love October." This is perhaps my favorite time of year for several reasons. The leaves are changing setting our beautiful Utah mountains ablaze with orangey goodness. The clear blue skies are deceptively still sunshiny, while the air is crisp and cool. And perhaps most importantly, the holidays are just around the corner.

After Yoga on Saturday my sister and I went shopping for some holiday decor and I realized that I am in dire need of some holiday-specific magic in my home. We have been fairly transient during our nearly six year marriage, moving about seven times, and so basically I am perpetually decorating my house with just the basic wall coverings... I have yet to really get to changing any of the decor for seasons.

I hit the stores today and came home with some really cute Halloween decorations. As lame as it may sound, I want JJ (and future kids) to have fond memories of the holidays. For me, part of that is having the home look festive.

I am now in the center of Halloween, and I really DO love Ocotber!
Now on to pumpkin carving and hot cocoa!

12 comments:

Rachel said...

...especially hot cocoa And a warm fire. I agree with making the holiday memories a priority. I have good memories...I want my kids to have them as well...and you can't start too early!

pinks & blues girls said...

I love this time of year, too! I need to get my house more decorated for Halloween... it's pretty bare right now. Glad you were able to get some festive finds!

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Gustogirl said...

I love this time of year too! We pulled out our decorations tonight and got into Halloween mode.

Natalie said...

For some reason Halloween's been one of the only holidays I've decorated for (besdies Christmas, of course).

John J. Kaiser said...

I love all that, I just wish that the sunlight lasted longer. I am tired of driving home in the dark at 7 o'clock.

the daily knack said...

How fun! I just found my decoration boxes a few weeks ago and have been really exicted for the upcoming holidays!

Jayna & Fam said...

It is funny to wake up one day and realize you have to be "that" mom now- the one who has holiday decorations! The kids definitely LOVE all that stuff. Except my Martha visions always end up out voted by my girls' desires for the tacky== plastic window clings, fake spider webs, and plastic ghosts in the front yard. Oh well, I can Martha when we're empty nesters, right?!

Erin said...

I second the hot chocolate sentiment. My husband went to Costco and brought me home a present: a huge box of the swiss miss packets. I am gonna get fat(ter) this winter!

lys said...

Good for you! I have to LOOK for reasons to like fall. . . (read today's blog post!)

Bananas said...

me too me too! i just bought some cute little decorations at Target. Me who NEVER decorates for the holidays. Funny what being a mom will do to you.

shauna said...

I bet your home looks fabulous. And I second you on the hot cocoa. I need to get myself an industrial-sized tub of it. (Everytime my daughter gets the slightest bit cold she asks, "Can you make me some hot cocoa, Mom?")

the daily knack said...

I am anxiously awaiting your next post! :)