Friday, October 26, 2007

Bump in the Night

Jeremy was next to me snoring so loud I could hear my brain rattle (in his defense.. he is sick). Restlessly I grabbed for my IPOD to listen to the relaxing Japenese flute music I just downloaded. Two seconds later my earbuds are in, I change positions, close my eyes and look for my happy place. It wasn't where I left it. With melody-less flute music floating through my mind, I started to freak myself out. What was that noise? I swear that the light just shifted coming from under the doorway. I better turn the music down for a better listen. And then... since now I am a mom and my escape plan can no longer include a quick dash out the door or jump out the window...(I know I am a freak).. I start to worry about my little one sleeping soundly in the next room. Okay, how fast can I get in there.. grab JJ.. grab a jacket for JJ, grab a snack in case we are gone too long.. of course a diaper and a change of clothes.... Then it just got ridiculous. I was DEFINITELY not in the happy place. So, what is a mommy blogger to do but quitely tip toe to the door, press my ear against it, and only after making certain there is no one there, dash down the stairs and read all of your blogs. Of course, what post should I happen on, but this, and I couldn't help but think of my own "close encounter." Heck.. I am not sleeping tongiht anyway, might as well let the frightened feeling take over and tell you all about it. You see, a couple of years ago I went on a church history tour that originated in Boston, MA. Shortly after arriving, we drove up to Concord to see some of the homes of famous authors but also partake of our country's rich history. Back East, and especially in Concord I am told, there are a lot of ghost stories that get passed around. Hauntings and rumors of hauntings, you get the idea. Anyway, during our breif stay there, we were fortunate enough to get to stay in one of the "most haunted hotels" in America called the Colonial Inn. Funny as it may sound... this is actually a huge draw, and the hotel proudly displays books and pamphlets proclaiming their well-earned status in the lobby. While I don't think that ghosts in general are scary, I will admit this place sort of got to me. The hotel looks a lot like what you would think a Colonial house would be (if the colonists had 200+ rooms, running water, and electricity, of course); the floors are slanted, the doorways narrow, and the lights are kept pretty dim. Maybe just the knowledge that you are minutes from the legendary Sleepy Hollow cemetery makes the atmosphere spooky... I don't know.
So, Angie and I were both spouseless for the trip and we bunked up with my other sister, Mariah. The room was small and quaint, and the bathroom left something to be desired. As we settled in, we started talking about the hotel's history (I think one of us had grabbed a brochure describing previous guest's rendevous with the paranormal). The feeling was pretty eerie. We were pretty sure that we heard some kind of noise.. and one interesting light in the bathroom really made our visit complete. I was a little shakey until checkout the next morning, but we loved telling the group about our near "run in" the next morning at breakfast.

As I left I had to stop by the front desk to ask about our particular room. They said that they have heard from other visitors about that hall, but never that room and that earlier taht year they had a group of paranormal investigators that had brought some equipment to check out the rest of the hotel. The tests were positive. However, they say that the most haunted room that is 24, which is in the oldest part of the building. Pretty sure my sister and her husband stayed there without incident. Some claim that it is the ghost of Ralph Waldo Emerson, but either way I bet he is friendly because to my knowledge, no one has died. That is about as close as I have ever been to a ghost. I am sure it was just our minds playing tricks on us, but here I am in the middle of the night and I am scared, again.

11 comments:

Jayna & Family said...

Love it that I'm not the only neurotic mother out there who has "what if" scenarios play thru her mind at bedtime!

thekirnancrib said...

scaryyy!!!! I'm going to be such a complete freak when I have kids, let me tell you!

Beanie said...

I remember one night a few years ago when nightmares seemed to be contagious at our house. I think we had two or three of the children come into our room for comfort. I could always tell when someone had a bad dream, because I would hear the pad, pad down the hall as young feet would come running. I don't think that was your imagination at the Colonial Inn.

LindsSawyer said...

YIKES! I didn't sleep for 2 nights after 6th sense...I better not stay at the colonial...:)

LindsSawyer said...

YIKES! I didn't sleep for 2 nights after 6th sense...I better not stay at the colonial...:)

LindsSawyer said...

YIKES! I didn't sleep for 2 nights after 6th sense...I better not stay at the colonial...:)

the daily knack said...

Oh man! I am the worst when I think I have heard or seem something in our house. My mind is so good at playing tricks on itself!

pinkmorning said...

oh man, sorry you had a rough night. i had a tough night too...

Natalie said...

I have an overactive imagination so I hate it when Brian's out of town because I freak myself out. Not a happy thing.

Bananas said...

I totally freak myself in the dead of night just like that. But i have to admit I'm a little jealous of your hotel experience... I might be even tempted to go book a room there just to see something spooky! :) Thanks for sharing!

KiMnRoB said...

I am SO freaked out right now... with your story and reading the link you shared too?????
Number 2 thing you probably didn't know about me- I am scared of the dark for THIS VERY REASON. That's why I sleep with the lights on or the TV on when Robert isn't home. Yeah, I know, a little useless information for your day... :)