Saturday, September 1, 2007

Swiss Misses... and Misters

I grew up going to Midway, UT during the summer. My grandparents had a summer home there, and we gathered for Timpfreeze ice cream, pony rides, firworks, and swimming quite a bit. On our first official date, Jeremy took me there for lunch at the Homestead Resort in Midway, and I soon learned that the Heber Valley was a special place to The Tomsick family as well. On that date, we truly connected. We ate at "fanny's" which is sort of a cafe type setting situated right over a little pond with ducks and fish and beyond that there is a beautiful view of part of the valley.
The Swiss Days celebration has become tradition for our Labor Day weekend festivities, it originataed in 1940 as a way for the farmers of the area to celebrate their fruitful harvests. As the celebration grew, they switched the name from "Harvest Days" to "Swiss Days,"to honor the heritage of their ancestors. Midway is a quaint little city; it looks like a page out of a storybook. Many of the buildings are Swiss-inspried, and the mountain views are breathtaking. THis festival is something we look forward to with a little pang as it always indicated to Jeremy that the summer is ending, and so is golf for a season. You see, it didn't take me long to find out that part of the reason why the boys enjoy this festival is because they get to enjoy some of the best golf courses in Utah while the girls browse the booths, then we all join up for food from the "swiss" vendors.


This year was really fun since JJ wanted to run everywhere. I loved watching him take it all in . He loves people and crowds... perhaps because he knows that when there is some sort of party, and he is bound to be fed. Usually, I can't decide what I want to get, since the booths are filled with all sorts of home decor, from wrought iron yard stakes to beautifully framed photography. Yesterday was a bit muggy, and so very crowded, that we hustled through the booths, and I only ended up getting one thing. It is cute though, a framed sign that says "HOME, where it all begins"... I will post a picture later (too lazy to download from my camea-- sigh). We had a great time, JJ's favorite part was "swiss ice," which was really just a snow cone. I should have taken more pictures.

6 comments:

Tara said...

hey its tara, here is the website i was talking about where i made the extra summer cash.......... the website is here

pinkmorning said...

yeah, it was pretty hot today too, but i am happy that i found something cute for my house, that was the goal.

Jayna & Fam said...

That's the only part of utah I miss...go swiss miss!

Gustogirl said...

I have fond memories of Swiss days. Every year when you talk about it, I am jealous! Maybe next year, I can fly out and come with you(if your in-laws wouldn't mind).

shauna said...

I miss Heber valley! I've never been to Swiss Days but I have gotten a milkshake at Grannies! Yum...

the daily knack said...

Swiss Days! I missed it this year. It's funny how "Swiss" everything is up there. You know like "Swiss Navajo Taco's", yum!