Monday, September 24, 2007

Pioneer Woman

Today has been a day of getting back to my ancestral roots.... only with electricity, gas, and running water. I DO have a new appreciation for the many women who spent countless hours making their own clothes and those for the family, canning, and cooking meals... out of necessity rather than novelty.

I started out the day with making a costume for my cute nephew Joel. He is going as a football to complete the "football-themed-family." It really turned out cute, and it has been fun to try it on JJ as a real life mannequin. A friend called in the midst of my sewing frenzy and asked if I would be going to my husband's basketball game tonight.... to which I replied that I would be canning.


"What?" she said...
"I will be CANNING," I said..

"I can't hear you, it sounded like you said that you would be Canning tonight."

..............I must not come across as the Martha Stewart I want to be.
Anyway, I canned on my first try today. We put up peaches... and I can hardly wait to eat them. My mother-in-law, the original Tomsick domestic goddess taught us, and we had a blast listening to big band music and canning up a storm. Here are some pics of the "fruits" of my efforts! (pun totally intended!)


12 comments:

the daily knack said...

I am very impressed! Those peaches look yummy.

thekirnancrib said...

i am jealous. i can't wait until I can CAN! and sew. I just recently made a vow that I want to explore the more domestic side of me... I know it's there! we grew up growing our own vegetables, canning, sewing, etc etc... I need to let the legacy live on! I'm proud of you! :)

Erin said...

Is there anything you can't do? We were going to can peaches but we slacked on it a little too long. So we used the dehydrator and the freezer--and the giant stomachs of our kids. Congrats!

Gustogirl said...

Those look so yummy!! You really were the domestic queen yesterday. I never did sit down and practice a straight stitch. Maybe next time I am there, you can help me. Thanks again for you hard work, it means a lot to me!!

Gustogirl said...

Oh ya, and the reference to "What About Bob" canning(sailing) on your first try, hilarious!!

Jayna & Fam said...

Wow- impressive! Sewing and canning...you are in fact now a domestic goddess! :)I was too lazy- what we couldn't eat of the peach crop we froze! I'd love to see the costume- sounds cute!

pinks & blues girls said...

Wow, good for you! I have never canned before! My ex-boyfriend's mom was really domestic and taught me a lot of things, but when we broke up my domesticity pretty much went right out the window!!

Great job with the peaches!

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Rachel said...

Those look gorgeous. My mom used to can. I don't because I am rebelling.

Beanie said...

My Nana used to have a cellar that you entered through the side of the house full of canned fruit. She often used it to turn out two or three pies a week to feed her hungry cattleman husband. I also grew up on my Mom's canned peaches. Nothing so good. In the old days, when you sent your kids to college, you sent them jars of fruit and vegetables when they went.

megan&steve said...

Canning Mania! Wow Rachel you are super domestic. All those cans reminds me of my grandmas storage closet filled with different fruits. I'm not sure if she ever used any of them, but I remember as a kid thinking she had TONS.

Melissa said...

Rachel,

Congratulations on entering the canning world! It's been three years since I canned peaches (they take more time than I had in grad school) but they are a great way to start. I'm headed to Bishop's orchard this weekend to get my raspberries for jam and six different kinds of apples for fall pies and cobbler. The only drawback to this annual idyllic weekend is that the temps here in New England have been in the 80s for weeks so the air won't be crisp and the leaves won't be golden. Lucky for me, apple cider donuts and old friends more than compensate . . .

M.

shauna said...

They look so purty! You're a wonder--in fact, I might just start calling you WonderMom...