Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Parent's Worst Nightmare.

I rode an interesting rollercoaster today...

I woke up this morning feeling very business-ey. I had an FHA training in Orem that I needed to get ready for, so Jeremy took Jr to his parent's house for a little grandma time. All dressed up, I grabbed my laptop, and hit the road. As I drove the 30 minutes it took to get to our Orem location, I couldn't help but reminicse about my days as a business woman. I enjoyed a fair amount of success at my job, and found that I had a knack for relationship building and sales. Feeling like I had a reason to get dressed this morning really got me going. For some reason, there was something about those dress pants and heels that brought me back to my previous life of closing deals. I have been doing mortgage from for the past six months or so, so it is not the money that I miss so much as the adult interaction. Sitting in my training today I felt like I was a part of something. I know it really sounds weird, but it is a part of me that has been stiffled by the much more important duty of motherhood. Now, please don't get me wrong... it is not that I regret my choice to stay home.... it is much the opposite. I feel like it is a blessing to be able to make that choice, it is just that it has been somewhat of a transition for me.


Anyway, so here I was... sort of on the downward plunge.. feeling a bit sorry for myself that I am somewhat confined to the four walls of my home.... when I turned on the BIOGRAPHY channel and saw something that shocked me right back into reality! The title of the show was "Parents Worst Nightmare" and I only caught a minute, but it was truly horrifying. They showed footage from nanny cameras of sitters literally throwing, punching and generally abusing babies!!! I am still in shock and feel absolutely queasy. Immediately I counted my blessings that I am able to know exactly what goes on with my son becuase I am here or he is at grandma's, period. I understand that this option is not for everyone, and I am in no way saying that all child care is like this, but how terrifying! I am grateful for the opportunity to stay home, even if at times it is a little mundane. There is no deal more important to me, than providing a secure feeling for my son and happy life.

9 comments:

thekirnancrib said...

i love your new layout :) pretty! As a nanny, I just hate that a few bad people can give a whole profession a bad name. It so aggrivates me that there are SO many nannies and chidcare providers out there that love, care for, and protect the children they are responsible for like they would their own, and then there are just a few others that make the news with terrible stories like that.... what about the many more people who ARE doing a good job?! sigh. stepping off my soapbox now. :)

LikeAstaR said...

Thekirnancrib: I am sure taht is so frustrating when thing like that happen. I know that the majority of child care providers are in the industry for their love of children. I hope taht I didn't come off as "nanny-phobic" I am just happy that I get to stay at home with my son.

Bananas said...

Ugh that IS awful. I can't even watch those things... they make me too depressed about the state of the world. On an upside, your blog is looking very sassy!! :)

the daily knack said...

thank goodness for grandparents!

Jayna & Fam said...

I know that sick feeling...Before motherhood, not so much. After, ALL THE TIME- the news, tv, etc. IT's all bad news for our most precious commodities- our kids. ANyways, I hear ya on both counts! I just always remind myself that I like Pajamas much better than heels anyways...

pinks & blues girls said...

Oh my goodness, that is so terrifying. Why - and HOW - do those people get into that profession in the first place? It's terrifying.

I am so protective of my doggy and my sister's kids... luckily, my parents (AND my husband's parents in my doggy's case) can always watch our little ones!

Jane, P&B Girls

Rachel said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Isn't it sad all the parents who have to deal with an outsider coming into their home to care for their most precious assets? I truly thank God that I have been blessed with being able to stay home.

shauna said...

First of all, the new look is BEautiful! And I think all moms feel that at some point or another. Those videos of abuse are just horrible. One night I caught about 10 minutes of Nancy Grace where they were covering this story about a woman beating her 10-year old in a WalMart. About three people called the people to report it. Argh. If she'll beat him in public what does she do in private? You're little JJ is lucky!

shauna said...

P.S. Thanks for you kinds words on my last post! It is so amazing to me how connected I feel to bloggers like you that I've never met. But heh, next time I go to Utah I may have to hunt you down and take pictures of JJ myself... :)