Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Little Gym

Today JJ and I went for a 45 minute session at the Little Gym. I thought that he could not go until he was three, but I learned that they take children as young as 4 months. A little apprehensive thinking that JJ would cling to me and be intimidated by the kids and activity, I arrived thinking I would not be joining. Boy was I wrong! In true JJ fashion, he took the games, music, and activities head on. He wanted to explore the brightly colored mats and shiny bars, but would always stay pretty close by. JJ made quick Friends with another cute "birdie" (this is what his age group is called), and really enjoyed hanging on the bar, the bubbles and the balls. I think that when we were walking around in the circle and doing the parachute, it was a little much for him to take, and he seemed relieved looking up to see that I was always right there to encourage him.

Surprisingly both JJ and I really had a great time. I thought that it was fun, age appropriate, and just enough structure to feel like I was getting my money's worth. Both Jeremy and I (like most parents) really want JJ to be an involved, unintimidated, and social person. I think that the structured play alongside other little people really will help encourage this behavior. I also think that is great to have me be there with him for the first couple years so that he can get used to that type of setting. Hopefully Preschool won't be so daunting. We shall see when that awful time comes!

Long Story short, they are brilliant to let parents go to one "trial session" because the Tomsicks are totally sold!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

We have something like that here and it is so cute to watch them play. It is a little disconcerting with two kids both shouting "watch me mommy" but totally worth it.

thekirnancrib said...

awww! you will have to share pics next time. :) btw, I've been wondering, what does JJ stand for? is it Jeremy jr? just wondering :)

Jayna & Fam said...

I love that age- One is such a fun time. Well, except maybe at church unless you have a time that doesn't coincide with naps!

Erin said...

Eli does the little gym too--and we love it. But I have 3 kids so I can't do the classes with them so my kids have to wait until they are 4. They do a show day at the end of the term and Rory was climbing all over everything so I can't wait for her 4th birthday so she can go too. I love the Little Gym.

lys said...

Thanks so much for the info on this. I've always wondered about it & now I am really motivated to go check it out.

pinkmorning said...

i'm glad JJ had such a fun time, sounds like a really great activity for him.

shauna said...

I was so bummed to find out there's no Little Gym here in Idaho Falls. Zack would just love it!

Natalie said...

Maybe I should check into one of those...Wes loves playing with people.

the daily knack said...

It was fun to watch jj and porter run around! If only Porter would participate in what everyone else was doing, he just wanted to run around and do his own thing.