Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Guide to Style

You know that I have no shame admitting that I love television. It actually sort of bugs me when people say "oh, I never watch tv, I just don't have the time," the view from the high horse must be wonderful. Anyway, I for one, make time for tv. I have my favorite shows, and I blog about them. It is relaxing at the end of the day, and I wouldn't classify myself as a couch potato so, what is the harm? Anyway, there is a new tv show that caught my eye entitled "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style." It airs on Thursday nights on Bravo. Although it is sort of a "What Not to Wear" rip off, Tim Gunn's dry wit really grows on you (you may recognize him from Project Runway fame.)
Although I think that some people place far too much value in clothes, I do think that having style and putting a little thought into what you wear can enhance your life. (cut to my husband rolling his eyes as my usual attire is pj pants and tshirt.) Tim's Guide includes a list of "closet essentials" that include black pants, white shirt, trench coat, seatsuit alternative, etc. and says that your primary considerations when purchasing/wearing a garment should be silhouette, proportion, and fit. I have to say that those words really rang in my ears. Currently my "guide to style" includes such defining questions as: what percentage is this item marked down? Color? and occasionaly, have I seen this item look good on someone else? So sad. I cringe at the thought of Tim and his forgettable co-host sifting through my clothes, not to mention how large the "throw away" pile would be.
I have only seen one episode, but the subject of that episode's wardrobe
was not really that bad (or is my sense of style that out of touch?--most likely the latter) , however it was a shocking change that happened when her wardrobe was infused with Tim's Guide.

One other thing he said that rang in my head was that he HATED leggings!! Oh well!


5 comments:

Jayna & Fam said...

Leggings not good...check! Pj bottoms and my husbands tshirt....check, check!

Rachel said...

I like t.v. too! Well...I don't have cable so I have a rather large dvd collection. But I am not ashamed.
Loved the line about "the view from the high horse" was a classic!

shauna said...

I saw just a part of this show the other day. I like Tim, but that's because I LOVE Project Runway... He would be so dissappointed in my wardrobe though. I don't have any leggings but I have about 15 pairs of jeans (and twice as many sweatshirts).

Bananas said...

"the view from the high horse must be wonderful." ooh I love that... am SO gonna use it. I totally want to see Tim Gunn's guide to style. In fact, I'm gonna go Tivo it RIGHT NOW!

the daily knack said...

I love tv too, how can you not! Although I have started reading books, thank goodness for DVR.