So, without further hesitation, here are my 5 Earliest Memories (in no particular order):
1. I distinctly remember sitting in my crib, singing to myself while holding a stuffed panda bear. I must have been under the age of three, as I have a little brother who would have taken over the crib when he was born. The thing that stand out to me the most was the fact that the bottom of the bear was dirty. It really bugged me and I don't know why. (prelude to my minor OCD problem??)
2. I remember walking into preschool once (maybe age 3 or 4?) after my parents had come home from a Mexican vacation. They had brought me back a beautiful dress with an elastic neckline as a souvenir. I remember pulling down the dress as to expose my shoulders. I don't know where I got that idea, but I remember thinking that I looked really cute that way.
3. I was in a US Satellite broadcast that my mom wrote and produced called "Abound in Hope," where I think that I played myself. I remember shooting the movie and particularly the craft services table. I remember the big bowl of skittles and wondering if I could have as much as I wanted. (I was probably about 3 or 4). I also remember thinking it was funny pretending that these strangers were my family members, but I loved it!
4. In first Grade I remember having to go to school all day. I thought at lunch time that I would absolutely die. The only thing I can recall was at lunch they had several different colored trays. Mixed in among them were a hnadful of red trays. If you got a red tray, you got a treat. It was so exciting to see if you got one, and we would always try to count how many trays vs students there were and arrange ourselves in line accordingly. I don't think I ever got one. Disappointing.
5. I remember when my dad passed away . I was five. The morning was a normal one, just waiting to go to afternoon kindergarten, when my mom came in the front door, and crouched down to tell me the awful news. I remember that I was in the entry way of our house on the big rug. The look in her eyes hit me like a ton of bricks. A mixture of greif and fear. I don't remember much of anything else, besides going to the school to pick up my siblings. My next memory of this tragic event was after the funeral and how our living room smelt of flowers because it had been taken over by well-wisher's bouquets. I remember sitting on the arm of the couch wondeirng if I were going to have to go back to school... or thinking about how much school I had missed or something like that. I felt extremely anxious at the thought of how behind I must be. Obviously, the gravity of my current situation was too much for my five year old brain and heart.
What are your earliest memories?