Saturday, September 8, 2007

The End Is Upon Us


After working for several hours putting some of the "final touches" on the basement, Jeremy and I headed for one last trip to Lowes and then to feed our bellies. He was thinking Arbys, but me... not so much.

Then I saw it, and at that moment I knew that is what I wanted and I wouldn't be happy with anything else... the Snow Shack. In Utah we seriously have the BEST SNOW cones ON EARTH.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the art of snow coning may not be aware that those who aren't afraid to be charming, get the best cone. When ordering a snow cone... or anything that can be personally enhanced by the teenager working the counter... one must start early, and find a commonality. You see, a snow cone is only as good as the amount of flavoring administered. This is a lesson that I learned from my brother, Eliot.. who is the KING of Shmoozing for a good shaved ice. Since the majority of snow shacks are not self-service, you have to rely on your charisma to really get your money's worth. If nothing else, tip the girl/boy an extra buck.. you totally won't be sorry.

So, I pulled up, put on my smile, and went to the counter to get the my snow on. I remarked about the weather, her shirt, and asked what her favorite flavor was... then she aid, "well, since today is the last day we will be open, we are sort of running out..." My mind started to race about all of the times that I could have hit a snow shack instead of going for some other snack, and I changed my order to the Extra Large size... this was after all my lunch. Somehow knowing that this treat won't be available to me for another 8-9 months made that Tiger's Blood so much more tasty.

I know you are J-E-A-L-O-U-S, Eliot! I thought of you the whole time!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

well we don't have the snoshack here in Oregon but we do have rain 9 months out of the year! I have no idea why that would be related. I just was trying to think of something that we have that you guys don't.
I think I would prefer the snoshack!

selfstarter said...

Ok, so it is 9:00 in the morning, and I am salivating hearing about the Tiger's Blood. Utah does have the best shaved ice in the U.S. and believe me I have tried them in most states. That is one of the first places I go when I am in Utah during the summertime.

Angie bought me a shaved ice machine and it is good, but Sno Shack is better. Some day I think I will buy the machine they have in those shacks for my backyard.

Basically, I am saying I am JEALOUS.

the daily knack said...

They are closing early! I love snowcones.

Gustogirl said...

MMMM, sounds so yummy! I wish I could buy one right now!

Gustogirl said...

MMMM, sounds so yummy! I wish I could buy one right now!

shauna said...

Oh, I LOVE shaved ice. And you're so right--the closing of snow shacks is just another sad sign that summer is over. Sigh. (My favorite flavor is Mauie Wowie--what's yours?)