Friday, September 7, 2007

Confessions... and other things

Okay, for all you moms who told me to be strong and muddle through the endless crying sessions for my son while we were going binkie-less I AM SORRY! I have not had the heart to confess until now. We gave in... mostly because JJ found his own binkie and we applaud that sort of indepence around here, but also because when I walked into the room that day and saw his purple binkie in his mouth (yes, his binkie is purple.. don't ask me why the two pack comes with blue and purple.. or why we happened to tlose the blue one first) I didn't have the heart to take it away. I know what happened in his little mind the moment he saw it.. wherever it was.. "oh there you are.. old pal... I missed you so much," then popped it in and waited to show me what a clever yound soul he is. Long story short, he has the binkie for naps and nighttime.... and shots.

In other news, our basement has rounded third base.. and we are almost home! The carpet that was installed last week, yesterday and today is actually really nice. I love it. We put the couch together (Sectional) last night and set up my brother-in-law's gihnormous television for the complete subterrainian experience. If one needs to use the restroom, they are out of luck, but watching a Football/golf/soon to be basketball game in 70 inches (or something like that) of High Definition glory is now entirely attainable, and that is what is really important to the men of this household. It is surprisingly funny how fast you forget how much work goes into construction when you look around at the finished project. .. hmm, you think, "that wasn't so bad," while just last week you were cursing the very idea. Anyway, there is my end of week update. Have a good weekend!

6 comments:

Jayna & Fam said...

You've put it off for another day! But I understand...it's a hard milestone getting rid of the binkie/lovie or whatever. Better luck next time!

selfstarter said...

Rachel,

I would be more concerned about the fact that the binkie is purple than the fact that he is using it. But I applaud his resourcefulness. We wait until about 18 months befor taking away the binkie.

Love you guys.

Beanie said...

You may remember one of my favorite binkie stories. I had always sworn my babies would not hold on to their binkies, but at 20 months, Melissa was still going strong, so one day as we were riding along and the window was down, I said, "Missy, why don' you just throw that binkie out the window?" I meant that it was time to get rid of it, but she took me literally and threw her binkie out the window into the streets of Chicago. That was sure easy, I thought, but then about two blocks later she asked for her binkie back and then started to cry and cry and cried non-stop for several days until, I, too, relented and went and bought a new one. After that, every time the window was down in the car she threw her binkie out, thinking it was some kind of game. I despise littering, so I shudder to think how many binkies landed on the streets of Chicago.

the daily knack said...

First of all, we have tried to take away binki's for months and no success. Porter always finds them or we realize it isn't the right time. At least you tried. Our time to be binki free will come!

Congrats on the carpet!

shauna said...

Congrats on finishing the basement! And it sounds like a true family-room (football watchin', chick flick enjoyin', video game playin') extraveganza!

And the binki. Oh the binki. Don't come here looking for chastisement. These things take time (and I can guarantee he won't be taking it with him to kindergarten, so I think you still have time to wean the boy). I have to believe all that because my three-year old still isn't potty trained. sigh...

Casi Blanchard said...

Hey Rach! I just happened to remember that you have a blog while I was bored here at work and thought I should type a note! Anyway, I am So with you on the basement thing because we got our carpet installed on Monday and somehow now it doesn't seem like the journey has been half bad...ha ha though...thats just our brains playing tricks on us because it was terrible! Anyway, there is still a lot of work to be done on our basement, but it feels good to be this far! Can't wait to see yours!