Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Trolling for a Stroller


I thought I was done agonizing over my height. As a teenager, it constantly stressed me out to be taller than all of the boys and all of my friends. I remember watching Love Connection thinking that they should have a height indicator as I would never consider dating someone shorter than me. My 5'7" friends, in their cute platform boots, said how they wished they were taller, and I just smiled in my ballet flats... before they were chic. It was great for basketball, but not so great for theater, as I always ended up as the character actress since their were no boys to complement my size. It wasn't all bad though, and one day I grew up, met a fabulous, tall--but not too tall (as to give our children some hope of normalcy) man, we got married and lived happily ever after.... or so I thought. Now that I have a child the frustration has once again mounted and it's current manifestation is in the form of a stroller search. Who do they make strollers for anyway?? I understand that I am not the average height for a woman, but I am shorter than most men... and after all, aren't most fathers just that? I think that it must be some conspiracy so that men don't have to push the strollers, they are made too short for them so that they complain of back aches, and mom has to take over.

So, I made a huge mistake when I bought our first stroller for JJ. It was a hasty online purchase made by two eager parents whow wanted to check the item of the list. What I ended up with was a travel system that I didn't really like in the first place, and that I hate now. Practicality prevents me from just buying a new stroller, and even when I do entertain the thought, I am plagued with the decision as to whether I need a double storller for future children, a jogger, or a lightweight just to have in the car. There is already so much that goes into the process when making this important purchasing decision... how heavy is it? How small does it fold? Hoe much storage does it carry? But when you are tall, it adds a whole different dynamic to dilemma, and that is... how tall is that stroller? Funny enough, there are not a lot of tall strollers out there. I did find a site that caters to the tall parent ,and another resource here and here. So, there are things out there for me.. I just really don't want to make another mistake, and I guess I am enjoying the pity party.

16 comments:

lys said...

I had no idea that you were so tall! I'm almost 6 feet tall. . . so I can empathize! How tall are you?

LikeAstaR said...

I didn't realize you were tall either.. what stroller do you use for jogging? I am 5'10-5'11"

Erin said...

Tag! I love your blog because it really takes me back to when it was just me and the boy-who is now 4 along with his 3 year old sister and 8 month sister. We do the dig into the cake thing too. Have fun with the meme.

Erin said...

Oh yeah-I am super short so I have no advice on a stroller for tall people. I do have a little envy though :)

Gustogirl said...

I have loved my sit and stand. Great for now and great for later!

shauna said...

I didn't realize you were that tall either! I have no advice--our first industrial stroller worked okay but when we downsized to a cheapy strollers I became the hunchback... Good luck!

Bananas said...

I'm fairly tall too, and my husband is over 6 feet, and we totally ran into the same problem with strollers. It's not exactly something they spec out online either!

lys said...

I never got a jogging stroller because my exercise time is my "me time"-- sans baby!!! My taller friends have told me about some handle extenders that they've gotten to attach to their strollers. I've never looked into them because I just haven't really felt the need for them (I guess I'm just accustomed to living in a world for average-height women. . .), but they exist somewhere. . .

my minivan is faster than yours said...

We used a Peg Perego with adjustable height handles. My husband and I easily switched it depending on who was pushing.

Good luck!

Rachel said...

Isn't it amazing how you get to read all about a person but yet no one really even knows those ever so basic details? Now we are all in a flurry because we find out you are a tall hot Mama when I, personally, thought you were a cute lil' thing. By the way, can you hear me from over here in shortyville?

theorganizer said...

So many decisions. I have been in the market for a new stroller for several months now. I just feel so overwhelmed by not knowing what to buy that I continue to put it off. Let me know if you find a real winner. BTW- there are some brand strollers that have handle extenders built-in.

Jayna & Fam said...

Rachel- look no further! As you know, Tyler and I are both freakishly tall, so we have had this struggle. I can't help you with jogging stroller, but a FANTASTIC everyday use stroller, that weighs next to nothing, but is heavy duty, AND has SUPER extend-able handles for tall parents and you can buy it on Ebay for less than $100 bucks...PLUS I've kicked the crap out of it for 2 years and it still looks brand new, it folds up like an umbrella stroller, but is for up to 45lbs, reclines, and will fit ANY infant carrier for a newborn. Perfect, I know. 2 of my other friends have bought it from my reviews and LOVE it too. Here is the name to look up on Ebay: KidCo Lifestyle LS3000 Crimson Stroller. I'm telling you, you will LOVE it. It's an essential for any lanky parent! :) Hope this helps out at least the "strolling" areas of your life, if not with the jogging ones!

pinks & blues girls said...

So you're one of those people who can buy pants at a store and NOT have to hem them! :)

Isn't it amazing how much of a decision has to go into buying a stroller!? Good luck in your search!

Jane, P&B Girls

LikeAstaR said...

I am actually one of those people, who when I buy pants at the store I have to take the hem out :)

mama k said...

I have a metrolight. I think it's Graco? The handle has two height settings.
I'm 5'9", not crazy tall, just taller than average.
You best bet is going to the mega-baby store and pushing a few around.

Ah the double stroller dilemma. I really don't want to get one, but we are thinking about having our kids like 2 yr apart so I think they are envitable at some point, no?

Anonymous said...

My husband is 6'5 and this stoller was the only we could find that was 47 inches high. It works great - Chicco - Cortina Travel System