Friday, August 24, 2007

No More binkies.. even for Bed


How did I become a binky parent in the first place? I remember when JJ was a tiny newborn and I never wanted him to have his binky for too long, slowly I started to stick it in the mouth everwhere we went... until I got the binky chain and would not leave the house without it. The chain was lost on the beach in Florida. A mad dash to the grocery store promptly replaced the lost binky, but the chain was a one of a kind hand-crafted masterpiece beaded by Jeremy's cousin, and I was so sad to lose it. Without a chain, Jeremy and I have spent countless minutes on our hands and knees searching for the lone binky and frankly I am sick of it. It is gone now, I have no idea where it is, and I am not about to buy new binkies for a child who is talking and walking (sorry if you other moms don't agree).

So here we are, the naptime standoff. How long do I let JJ scream before giving in and running to Target. Fortuantely he is still at that tender age when he knows he wants something, but can't verbalize or visualize what that thing actually is. This is my opportunity to strike and leave the binky behind for the rest of his life. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

thekirnancrib said...

kudos to you... be strong! :)

Rachel said...

I got rid of the binky with both my babies and they survived. It was a little difficult but do-able. You will do great!

Jayna & Fam said...

I've got no clue, but I say go for it- get rid of it! My Grace sucks her thumb, and here we are at 4 yrs. old with a "binky" we CANNOT get rid of!

Gustogirl said...

Good luck with the breaking of the binky!! Stay strong!!!

Absolutely Bananas said...

Oh MY sounds like a long weekend ahead of you... good luck!!

Erin said...

I remember how hard it was with my 4 year old. We wanted to do it at 18 months before there was a new baby to have pacifier envy about but I was just too tired! So we limited it to naptime and bedtime. If he "needed" it he had to go to his room, use it, and leave it when he came out. We finally took it away at 2 years, I think. It was awful! BUt now my 2 daughters suck their thumbs and I think...man, the pacifier was so much easier to take away!! Good luck-stay strong!

shauna said...

I was so sad not to get any of my kids attached to the binky. There were times when I wished I could give them immediate soothing (and stop the crying!). But I know around this time it can get tough to take the binky away. Good luck!