Saturday, August 25, 2007

No More Binkies Day two

So JJ is officially mad at me. I have made him suffer through long screaming sessions since we are going without the binky and I think he knows that I am the one to blame. I am not just making this up.. Here are my three case studies:

This morning he woke up at 5:00 am. My mind had been racing all night with a mental punch list of items yet to be finished in our basement, so when I heard his little call for us, I was the lucky parent who had to forgo the extra Saturday sleep. I went to his bedroom and swung the door open as I always do with a "hey there little man! Good morning to you!" and it was like... um I wanted daddy.. but in less words. I picked him up and we went down for some cuddle time. Since I stopped nursing I like to give him a bottle and cuddle with him as he drinks it in the mornings. (I like to say that I think it is good for him, but I need it more than he does). Much to my dismay, this morning he wasn't havin' any. My heart broke a little when we went upstairs where he caught one little glimpse of Jeremy's foot hangin out of the covers and happily yelped "Dah!" They were unseperable the rest of the morning.
This afternoon we went to a family reunion and JJ practically leaped out of my arms to Grandma... Uncle Robert.... Aunt Roberta (who JJ has seen mayb once).... and the hotter than all getout plastic rocking horse at the park. As a mother, you try not to be sad when your child clearly doesn't want you, but I secretly contemplated stealing him away for a giant ice cream cone just to regain his good graces.

Finally this afternoon, after his nap, I was playing with him in his room and he heard Dad's footsteps on the stairs. His face got so bright and smiley that he couldn't contain it and his arms and legs started flailing with glee. At this point, I no longer felt sorry for myself. I LOVE the relationship that these two already have. JJ clearly looks to his Dad with adoration, and the sentiment is always returned without question. It is so fun to see this bond already forming and I am so happy to have our little family. Here are some pics of my boys together today. The first on is JJ watching dad mow the lawn... whenever Jeremy turned towards us, JJ would giggle.

As far as the binky goes....I am holding strong, this is it and there is no turning back for us!

10 comments:

Absolutely Bananas said...

Having a husband who is also a great father... that has to be one of the very best gifts. LOVE the pictures... so sweet!

pinkmorning said...

i love the pictures. it is fun that they love each other so much.

thekirnancrib said...

how sweet!

Gustogirl said...

Love the pictures of your boys! JJ is so cute!!! I miss him. I love getting the boys together!

lys said...

Cute, cute, cute.

Good for you for not giving in on the pacifiers. You are strong!!

Jayna & Fam said...

You can do it! Some wrathful days are a small price to pay! Something that worked well with my girls is to have a transition "lovie", like a small blanket, or stuffed animal, that stays only in their crib, so when they see it they're all excited! That way they can still have a sleep aid, but no orthodontic damage!

Pinks & Blues said...

Rachel, the photos are adorable!! In the time I have known you through the blog world he really has turned into a little man! He is just beautiful. And I SO commend you on the binkie front! This is slightly embarrasing... but it took me until this past June to get the binkies away from WILLIAM!! he was 2 1/2 years old!! We had gotten them just to bedtime for over a year, but he wouldn't relent! It was awful at night trying to get them away. And then we discovered that he was hiding them under his sheet! I guess that happens when their 2 1/2!! Finally they are gone! Keeping going girl!! The older they got, the tougher it is with the binkies!!
- Audrey

the daily knack said...

Cute Pics! Good job with the binki!

pinks & blues girls said...

Awww, it's always tough to stand your ground with someone so cute!! But you're doing a great job!

Your men are so handsome!!

Jane, P&B Girls

shauna said...

What a great post--a wonderful tribute to your husband! And the pictures are adorable!