Friday, October 12, 2007

Why I love Golf.


My husband LOVES golf. This fact actually dawned on me relatively late in our marriage. When we were just dating, I knew that he went to college on scholarship for the game, and always talked about dreams of designing golf courses. Just to give you an idea of how deep his affection is,two MAJOR highlights of last year: Having our first child, a boy (future golf buddy), and playing Torrey Pines in San Diego.


When we went to Florida this summer, we didn't do the Disney thing, we didn't even go for the fabulous beaches... we went for the TPC Sawgrass golf course, clubhouse, and PGA National Headquarters! And it was so worth it.. let me tell you why. There is something so attractive to me in a man with a passion. You see, my hubby, is not the drunken, wannabe golfer who uses it as an excuse to get out with his buddies. Jeremy is a student of the game. He has taken his natural ability on the course, and honed it as a skill. He'd probably be embarrassed if he read this (good thing he never does), but it is more than the fact that he is pretty good at golf, it truly brings him joy. While in Florida, the eager anticipation for his time on the famed course were much like a child eagerly awaiting Christmas. Funny as it may sound, it really made me happy to see him so enthused. This post may read as some sort of confessional, but I was kind of surprised as I realized that I love golf... well I love what golf means to the man that I love. I am happy that he has his passion. Golf is a gentleman's game where you battle yourself and build character... I can't wait to teach our little JJ the game and have father and son together to form lasting memories on the course. JJ has already really taken to Golf. His favorite toy by far are his clubs and he merrily tugs the bag everywhere saying "golf, golf." The television can only really capture his attention when it is on the Golf channel.. and I am not making this stuff up. When we visited my sister in Washington last month, everything he touched turned into a golf club and JJ would swing it while shouting "golf."


So.. for these many reasons, and countless more I will not go into here, and despite the hours it takes to play a round, and the money it costs to be will equipped...I have decided to make nice with the mistress. Golf and I are friends. In fact... you could even say that I love it. Then again, maybe I can say that because here in Utah, the season is nearly over.

7 comments:

Gustogirl said...

Such a cute picture of father and son. JJ really does seem to love golf. I am sure that it is a little nice that winter is coming and he won't be playing quite as much. Of course there is always St. George!;) Jeremy really is good. I have tried to convince Scott that he should take up the game(because it is cool), but he doesn't have any interest. He'll have to stick to his house projects.

pinkmorning said...

love the picture! i also love how excited jj got at tony caputo's when he saw the balls, you have got a little athlete on your hand...he is truly jeremy junior!

Natalie said...

That's a cute pic!

the daily knack said...

Oh my gosh! It will be so cool when they golf together. That picture is so cute. I need to learn to appreciate Ammon's mistress also... gaming!

KiMnRoB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KiMnRoB said...

He definitely gets this from his dad's side of the family! Of course "Golf" was one of his first words! Why wouldn't it be? Such a cutie-pa-tootie!

Anonymous said...

Boy Rachel you sure have come along way. Jeremy is lucky to have a wife like you who loves golf and knows how important their spouse. I love reading your blog keep it up.