Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Snack that Smiles Back

JJ has now gotten to the stage where he knows what he likes and what he doesn't. Gone are the times we could put anything in his mouth and hope he swallows. Now if he sees it coming and finds it unappealing in some way, he sort of snorts and turns his head. I found out about this emerging certainty of self and taste when I packed a bowl full of snacks for the airplane. I held the bowl in front of him, and he systematically picked out all of the goldfish. I know that this may sound like a small thing to some of you, but to me it spoke volumes! My child is an individual, who has tastes, preferences, and can discern for himself. Somewhere between Phoenix and Nashville, this truth suddenly struck me and I held my boy tightly. He is really growing up so fast. And he loves goldfish.. wouldn't touch the cheerios or pretzel sticks. It may be that he is channeling a younger mother and father who worked at the Pepperidge Farm plant in college.. who knows.

5 comments:

the daily knack said...

That is awesome! He is growing up fast. It is such a sad day when you find your son doesn't like the treats you pack... Porter knows what he likes to and screams when I don't have it.

Gustogirl said...

I love goldfish too. Any cheese cracker for that matter is high on my lists of favs. Just wait, soon he'll like whatever the person sitting next to you is giving their baby. When we were in CA, at Costco there they had alphabet cookies in a big ol' jar and they tasted like snickerdoodles. They were so stinking good! They are not in the Costcos here, you should check if you have them there.

pinkmorning said...

that is so cute. i would have picked the goldfish too.

shauna said...

I like the new look to your blog!

time-for-a-paws said...

Yum!! Goldfish are my favorite. Have you tasted the new flavor blasted kind. TOP BANANA!! (As they say it here in Britain)