Friday, July 6, 2007

Rockets Red Glare

On America's birthday our little family celebrated our independence with htousands of other Patriots at the Salt Lake Bees game. This is one of our favorite summer time activities. When you walk in and take your seat with a hot dog in one hand and a snow cone in the other, the very essence of summer seems to envelop you. No wonder baseball has been deemed America's Favorite Pasttime. This game was especially fun because there was a walk off home run to win the game (for those in my family reading this: that means that the game is tied in the bottom of the last inning and a player hits it out of the park so that the game is over... because he scored a run.. and they were tied. I think that ESPN should hire me for a genious.LOL.) Anyway, it was fun to feed JJ kettle corn, snow cones, and puffs. Jeremy diligently tried to explain the strategy to our 10 month old, but I don't think that he caught most of it. There is always next year. Anyway, part of the reason for the crowds at the game on Wednesday was because of the fireworks display that they had following. JJ seemed to be mesmerized by the lights in the sky. He just stared and stared while we walked to our car (It is pretty late for a baby). As we were making that five block journey to our parking space, amid sidewalk firwork displays and roman candle
battles from the residents, I couldn't help but put myself in his position. JJ is not well-versed in outside after dark. In fact, I can probably count on one hand the times he has been outside when it is dark. He probably either thought that this is how the sky ALWAYS looks at night, or that the world had gone bonkers. Either way, he rolled with it. I love that about him. ( The picture doesn't capture the essence of his excitement.. or the fireworks.. I did my best... so backoff.)

6 comments:

Pinks & Blues Girls said...

So JJ loved the fireworks?? My 2 oldest seemed to like them this year... last year they were terrified!! But the Kettle Corn you mentioned... YUM YUM YUM!! Our favorite in the McClelland household!!
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls

Rachel said...

I seriously love the picture!!! You may not have captured his excitement in that one...but you captured a very beautiful (artistic if I may say) portrait of daddy and son. Precious and priceless!

shauna said...

We LOVED going to Bees' games. The last time we went they had this little carnival for kids behind the field. Do they still do that? It was so American!

Gustogirl said...

Sound like you guys had a lot of fun!

lys said...

Great photo! We went to the Sugarhouse fireworks and I attemted to capture a similar moment in a picture, but I couldn't get one without a random person wandering in on the scene.

Beanie said...

I'm just barely on the computer after a long, dry spell in England. Our b&b's advertise wifi, but that means it flickers on for two minutes during the evening. Anyway, just read all of your fun entries. Glad you had such a fun fourth