Monday, July 23, 2007

Must go Monday #1: Sexy Topic

Lindsey at The Daily Knack has thought of a great way to kick off the week.. what is better than a rant session to get our juices flowing for the upcoming week? Today will mark the first installment of MustGo Mondays here at Like a Star. Please feel free to post your rant and let the blog world know you mean business!

For anyone following politcs, you know that sex education is a hot button on the state and federal levels of government. The debate surges on seemingly the entire scope of sex education, from when to start, to content. This will be my topic for this week's Mustgo Monday: Teaching sex to kindergartners MUST GO! It is not what I think is right.. and afterall this is my rant! In a speech delivered to a Planned Parenthood audience, presidential candidate, Barack Obama, said that teaching sex education to kindergartners is "the right thing to do" as long as it is "age appropriate." Is it just me or does that not seem like his qualifying statement "age appropriate," is the best argument for why this is DEFINITELY not the "right thing to do?" When I read this, I thought it must be taken out of context, or that he was misquoted. Afterall, even for diplomacy's sake, you would think a statement like this would send shivers up the spines of hard-working, moral-conscious mothers (and fathers) everywhere! So, I dug deeper.

Turns out, he was not misquoted... in fact several states and school districts are pushing for the same thing. Furthermore, his statement wasn't revolutionary at all, in fact this "science based teaching" i has powerful support at some of the highest levels of governemnt. Recently a New Mexico school district held a debate on how to stop kids from having sex. It's solution: Sex Ed starting in Kindergarten.

With abstinence teaching under attacke, this is a particular scary propostion to me as another hotly contested topic revolving around Sex Ed is content matter of the education itself. After five years of hard work sheltering him and carefully minding his learning, what will my precious boy learn when he is sent out to the public school system?

Presently and personally, I support Mitt Romney for president who had this to say in response to Obama's statement: ''I was shocked to hear that he [Obama] thinks that we need to have sex education in kindergarten. I don't think that's a problem. I don't think that is a need,'' He added that Obama called for ''age appropriate'' schooling, but ''how much sex education is age appropriate for a 5-year-old? In my view, zero.''

Here Here, Mitt!

7 comments:

the daily knack said...

First of all I pity the fool that has to teach 5 year olds about sex. That would just be silly and impossible! Those poor kindergartners aren't going to be able to understand this complex topic. Confusing them will only make the situation worse.

This idea really sucks. Good Post!

pinkmorning said...

love the picture...the idea of teaching sex ed to kids that age is upsetting to say the least...

Becky said...

I second that "zero." Cute photo!

shauna said...

My mom taught me about the birds and the bees when I was just five (and made me watch some cheesy after-school special about it too). I remember being a little "overwhelmed" with information. So I'm wondering just what age-appropriate sex ed would be for a 5-year old? I can't imagine it taking more than 3 minutes. "When mommies and daddies really like each other..." I mean, really, can there be an entire curriculum? And couldn't the education system find better uses for that sex-ed funding?

As my daughter would say, "That's just silliness."

Gustogirl said...

Hahaha, articulated quite nicely shauna! Kindergartens have no need for sex-ed.

Mama Zen said...

Beyond "good touch" and "bad touch" (best taught at home, I think)? Definitely no need for sex ed at that age!

Natalie said...

I heard about this on The O'Reilly Factor and I was totally appalled. It's a totally insane concept. The more I hear about the crap entering public schools these days (did you hear the one about the forced sex assembly?) the more I consider sending my kids to private school.