Thursday, May 3, 2007

paint in my eyelashes


No, this is not a post about painting... really (paint = boring). We hvae been painting our basement in a fury to finish now that the hot weather is upon us. When I say upon, I don't mean today as it is windy and cold, but I mean seasonly, etc. Anyway, My worst by far, is ceiling paint. When you paint a ceiling you look up, inevitably getting paint in the eye. This is no picnic, it really stings... but that isn't the worst part.. the worst part is the paint in your hair, eyebrows, and eyelahses. Howver, as you paint, you build up a resistance and no longer are your coated eyelashes bothersome. In fact, you almost forget what you must look like until an unsuspecting guest or neighbor happens updon you. Today, as my ceiling and I were getting thusly painted, I thought to myself.. I am learning a lesson. I think the scientific term is "sensory adapation," The phenomonon of the body's ability to adapt to thing such as clothes on our bodies and air on our skin. Something that feels uncomfortable, even painful at first, becomes second nature over time. Such is the case of judgement and gossip (two areas in which I am trying to imporve). When you have not engaged in negative behoviors, and then suddenly are exposed, it is abrupt and unpleasant. However, as you involve yourself with gossip and judgement, you begin to become desensitized and complicit. Often, you fall into the habit of criticism with those closest to you. Before you know it, you are covered in paint... looking ridiculous and filthy, and you don't even know it. Thank you ceiling, I am going to recommit myself... plus you are painted and look fabulous!

3 comments:

Gustogirl said...

There are these nifty things somebody invented called safety goggles and showercaps, they would keep you eyes and hair pretty clean. hahahaha! Seriously though, that's a great analogy, and it holds true to everything that we expose ourselves to. Thanks for the insight!! I bet your paint looks fabulous!!!

Like a Star said...

also pertains to sarcasm...

Anonymous said...

Laura, I thought of the same thing. You can get clear goggles for very cheap and then no more stinging eyes. Good luck with painting Rachel.