Sunday, May 6, 2007

Going Nowhere

I was so exicted for Thursday night's debate... no not presidential, I am talking about the much-hyped issues debate between news personality Sean Hannity and Salt Lake City Mayor, Rocky Anderson. I first became addicted to talk radio when I was working full time as a sales rep and in my car a lot. Music got old after awhile, but hot-tempered radio talkshow hosts really captured my attention, and quickly became my favorite bloodsport. Obvioulsy, my interest was piqued when Salt lake recently became the center stage for controversy on one of my favorite programs, the Sean Hannity Show. Hannity called out the city's mayor for his politics, his use of taxpayer's money and time, and his general attitude. Personally, I agreed with Hannity, however, as I watched the televised debate (the 2000 tickets to the event sold out in the first two hours, and at 20 bucks a pop, were the hottest seat in town.) I was pretty disappointed. Not that I really expected anything else, but I was sad to see that the debate, although touted as issue-based, quickly transformed into a clash of egos and personal assaults. Although, the news reported the majority of those in attendence leaned right, the crowd was extremely uncivil and yelled obscinities at both men. The interruptions escalated, and several times the moderater had to quiet the congregation like a father scolding his unruly children.

The forum for the night was time for each person to present his argument, then questions for each other, and finally, questions from the audience.

Rocky kicked off the evening in standard form. He brought a powerpoint presentation that highlighted the missteps of our government in the days, weeks, and months leading up to the Iraqi war. He called for Bush's impeachment, and looked pretty pleased with himself. I can't stand Rocky's smug liberalism. He is small minded when he claims to be so open. But, I never liked him in the first place, so it was no big surprise.



Next Hannity came on stage with a big smile and an anchorman's haricut. He is truly an entertainer, and I was excited to see how he would blast that liberal city mayor of ours! I was quickly disillusioned. Frankly, he didn't seem very prepared, not half as articulate as Rocky, a man I can't stand. Maybe it was high expectations, met with subpar performance, but I don't know if I really want to support Hannity anymore. In the first few sentences out of his mouth, he chose to spew venom at Rocky and belittle his presentation, instead of rally his supporters that were present and thank the U for hosting the battle, that he called for in the first place.

Honestly, I coudln't stand to finish watching the coverage, so I don't know how it ended, but I can guess. I am sure that supporters of both men walked away more emboldened and angry than they arrived. Not many minds were changed and we will continue down a road going nowhere.

2 comments:

Beanie said...

I'm with you. I love to learn about issues and hear what both sides have to say, but I really dislike blaming and name-calling and all the so-called entertainment techniques of the talk radio personalities. It ultimately becomes so divisive and makes both sides defensive and shrill.

lindsey said...

Rocky Anderson = lame-o!