Monday, May 21, 2007

Coming Home Again

Why is it that coming home from Vacation is so hard? Man, I love to go, but coming back really puts a strain on me. I almost always get sick on airplanes, so I usually come home with a cold and a suitcase full of dirty laundry. When I walk in the door and look around at my home it feels safe and comfortable, but at the same time a knawing sense of "undone" comes over me. I can't help but look down at the floors that need washing; to my left, is the computer that must have emails waiting to be read and returned. To my right there is an empyt kitchen with it's ceaseless appetite for groceries, etc, etc. You need a vacation after preparing for a vacation and you definitely need a vacation when you return. At least I do. The other night as I was wallowing in this kind of self-pity, my husband threatened to not take me on any more trips, and can I blame him? I don't know what is wrong with me. Someone make me feel better about my post-vacation-blues- syndrome. You may laugh, but I think that this is a true disease. I never quite felt it before I became a mom, but now that I am a "domestic engineer" and my duties primarily revolve around the home and what goes on here, home has become a neverending chore. This sounds pretty bad. Rest assured and I am happy and blessed to have th opportunity to stay home. I have a husband who works hard for this luxury, and surely this is a funk that I will overcome. But somebody, make me feel like less of a freak!

3 comments:

Julie Ann said...

i think it is normal, i am not even a mom yet, but it is still a constant struggle to keep the house neat, make meals, clean the laundry...it is the nature of life...no matter how many loads of laundry you do, the next day you still have dirty laundry, and no matter how much time you spend in the kitchen preparing a meal it is guaranteed that you will be back in a matter of hours to prepare another one...vacation disrupts the cycle and i have always found it hard to get back in the routine...a little bit like going back to work on a monday after a three day weekend, lots to catch up on...

Gustogirl said...

It is so hard to come home from a vacation when all you waiting for you is dirty laudry and a dirty house. Since having 3 kids, I can't seem to keep up onlaundry and household chores. I probably could, but I don't have the desire, because like Julie said, it will all just be dirty again tomorrow.

Beanie said...

I interviewed Kim Clark, the head of the Harvard Business School, and now president of BYU Idaho, and he told me something I'll never forget. I asked him how he gets everything done, and he said that he walls off certain portions of his life. He walls off the morning hours and doesn't take interviews or phone calls. That's when he writes. Then he walls off the evening for his family, and won't take work home. I think the house becomes an endless task that is always calling unless you wall that off as well. Give it so much time every day--and that's it. Then you also wall off time for other things that nurture your spirit, mind and heart--and not let that time be intruded upon by the never ending house chores. If you don't wall off time for other things, the house chores expand to fill all given space--and then we become dull and tedious and ever pressured.